Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My brother and I both have Suzuki bikes, mine is a 96 650 Savage w/ 8000 miles and his is a new 04 800 Intruder vtwin. Both of us are having problems with our bikes.

Mine: She will ride for maybe 100 miles and then shut off. She will sputter and diesel before she does while I roll around on the throttle but she then cuts out and will not restart for maybe an hour and then repeats the process maybe 5 minutes into the ride. She is doing this constantly now when it used to be only on rides over 30 minutes. I think it has something to do with the ignition system, had the spark plug replaced, and the rest of the system checked, but to no avail. Dealer was supposed to fix this :x

My brothers: the lights dim and the bike sputters. He took it to 3 different dealers and each time they "fixed" it nothing happened. They claim it is the battery (should be obviously) and test it. Nothing out of the ordinary. They clean and tighten the cables and say it's "fixed."
On a sidenote the fork seals broke three times in a row, 2 times within 5 minutes. Dealers now refuse to replace the seals. Yes, this is a brand new bike.

we're having absolutely terrible luck with suzuki (they called one of the dealers and chewed them out, thanks for that one :D) but the problems still aren't fixed. This is from 3 different shops. I'd love to have a GSX750 for my next bike, but at this point, a running yamaha R6 would be nicer...

If you can input anything at all about what may be wrong with these bikes, I'd appreciate it cause it looks like at this point we're on our own. Suggestions more than welcome

· Registered
635 Posts
your's sounds like the an ignition module, and your brothers sounds like a voltage regulater. Mind you that with the very little infromation that I have, and without the bikes infront of me, there is a fairly good chance that I'm wrong. I wish you the best of luck. My 02 gsxr 1000, has run flawlessly

· Registered
3,027 Posts
The Chad said:
My 02 gsxr 1000, has run flawlessly
I'll second that! My 02 1000 has been the perfect bike, well almost. If it sits for a couple days I get a fuel injector light during warm up. Opening and closing the fuel cap clears the light. Just my bikes way of chewing me out for ignoring her to long! :lol:

· Registered
77 Posts
Engine trouble Savage

As for the Savage : check also the fuelsystem
1)The breatherhole in the tankcap
2)The petcock and its vacuumhose
3)Dirt in the petcock filter
4) at 100 miles you might have used the fuel up to reserve. When the engine dies, switch to PRI so the floatchamber is full. When the engine runs switch to RES and check if the engine keeps running.
Goodluck

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Engine trouble Savage

Kropatchek said:
As for the Savage : check also the fuelsystem
1)The breatherhole in the tankcap
2)The petcock and its vacuumhose
3)Dirt in the petcock filter
4) at 100 miles you might have used the fuel up to reserve. When the engine dies, switch to PRI so the floatchamber is full. When the engine runs switch to RES and check if the engine keeps running.
Goodluck
If i only read that an hour ago...because:

I found out what the problem was. after taking it to the dealer for a tune up (this is my bro when he had it a couple months ago) their idea of a "tune up" was replace the plug and change the oil. the end. The spark plug wire was rotted beyond redemption. It's like 8 years old now and never replaced; it was green and blue with oxidation. Thats what threw me off. I figured that if the dealer checked everything, SAID they checked everything, and it was alright then they obviously checked that. What a bunch of asshats. I yanked the old plug wire out of the coil, dug out the inulation from the old wire in the coil output, cut it open with my dremel, and spliced a new wire in and coated it with dielectric. Then she wouldn't start again...so i took out the wire and grabbed onto it while cranking and got this -> :shock: . Obviously fuel problem. I left a vacuum line off, exactly what you were talking about. Wish i read that sooner would have save some time.
So I have the bike, my first bike, for like 3 days now, and I did what 3 bike shops could not. Jesus christ.

...to make it a bit more fair for them, i built my first mitsubishi race motor myself last year also--when i was 19.

cheers and thanks for your help, you guys really got me digging into this. It is SO much easier than working on a car.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok I disassembled the outside of the tranny and unjammed the shifter gear. Then I took the linkage that broke and welded it back together in my garage. Awesome, it's running again! So I take it on the freeway and it shuts off on me doing 70 in the middle of the highway. Almost got 5000lbs of american steel rammed up my ass for that one

you guys HAVE to find the humor in this...It's a freaking cruel joke on me by the bike gods :banghead:

Who wants to buy my bike?

· Premium Member
20,974 Posts
I do see the humor. I must say, you're taking it well. ;-)

What do you mean by "built" the Mitsu motor?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.