Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just purchased a 2004 GSXR 600 yesterday, and on the way home I noticed a pulsating or wobbling in my handlebars. It got worse when I would brake, but it was steady throughout the ride. I lifted my bike's front tire off the ground today, and realized it was really hard to spin. It would not keep spinning even for a second when I stopped trying to turn it. I think the rotor may be warped, but they are brand new. HELP PLEASE!!!

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
Wheel bearings are either too tight or shot. As the rotor is new I would also suspect that the wheel is put back incorrectly....spacer out of place, forks twisted etc.

Possible fix for the latter is loosen the spindle bolts and bounce the front end a few times. If the wheel bearings are too tight it may be the spacers are reversed...remove and fit in correct position.

If the bearings are shot then it isnt too hard to replace them and they will not be too expensive if get them from a bearing supplier rather than a bike dealer. Needless to say you will have to take one or all, sometimes they are different, in for them to check the numbers.

The last thing may be the brakes dragging. If the caliper piston is out a fair way...and since the rotor was replaced its a good chance it is then what happens is a build up of gunk prevents the piston from withdrawing correctly causing the brake/s to bind. Be aware this will need to be rectified or you may end up toasting the new rotors.

One final thing is make sure the rotor is mounted with all of or any spacers that came off. A quick look at a microfisch of your model is in order to see what is supposed to be there. There used to be a sticky link to a microfisch parts site at the top of this page but I havnt used it for a long time so it may have gone or become inoperative. Still a quick search via Google will toss up a few that will.

Good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts