Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

· Registered
3,027 Posts
Take an MSF class as soon as possible. Mean while keep it polished! Buy an old beater to practice on. Start reading up on riding skills etc. Search this site and you'll find lots of helpful stuff. Good Luck!

· Registered
751 Posts
why would you buy a bike having never even thought about what you were doing, bet you were told they were great bikes and went out and got one. anyway my first bike was a gixer 6, i recomend doing ya training then taking it easy, theres no point selling it now you have it, and theres nothing wrong with having it, its a good bike but in future do ya research

· Registered
879 Posts
Don't let you right wrist take control of your brain. Fun is fun but hospital visits plus insurance bills plus repair bills get very expensive very quickly. As long as you are mature enough to control yourself then you will be fine. Stay in your comfort zone and DO NOT try to impress anybody. Knowing your limits is much more impressive than going 150mph down the highway with traffic.

· Registered
3,027 Posts
prekarious1 said:
Knowing your limits is much more impressive than going 150mph down the highway with traffic.
Especially end over end with your bike! It can make for a real bad day! :evil:

· Registered
10,685 Posts
First, :welcomes:

unscathed one said:
thx for the advice guys, I'm going to keep my gix-6 and since my wife wants to ride too I'm going to get a 250 ninja to practice on and take the msf class.
Now this is certainly the best decision you could've made. Congrats!

· Premium Member
14,233 Posts
:welcomes:

Here's my standard shibboleth (for both you and your wife):

1) Take the MSF course
2) Buy the best gear you can afford
3) Buy a used bike
4) Get a few YEARS and thousands of miles of experience
5) Take the MSF Experienced Riders course and some track days
5) Get through to the fourth stage of maturity (look for RowdyRed's post about rider maturity)
6) Then (and ONLY then) consider buying your first new bike.

And while your at it, take a refresher first-aid course! As bikers, we're on the road more than most of the cagers, and therefore have a higer chance of coming across an accident - you should know what to do if you are the first one on the scene...

Before you go buy a Ninja for your wife, why not try out a few different models? Maybe you'll find that she's more comfortable on a cruiser or a touring bike where she can sit upright ... ? Just because a bike looks good, it doesn't mean that you'll be comfortable riding it. I think that the Yamaha R1, Buell Lightning, MV Agusta, Ducati 999 and the Honda CBR650RR are great looking bikes - but I would never buy one of these!

Hope this helps!

· Registered
3,934 Posts
Welcome, send me your new bike to practice my stoppies on. I'll return it when you have learned to ride as well as I have learned to crash :p

J/K man.

Take it easy on that 600. Treat it like a 6000 and follow the above posts and you should be OK.

· Premium Member
4,574 Posts
I second the first aid course. Good stuff to keep up on. I have had to use those skills in the past.

250 Ninjas are fairly comfortable and easy to ride. Hellacious corner speed when you get used to them.

- Nut

· Registered
93 Posts
inspiron said:
I think that the Yamaha R1, Buell Lightning, MV Agusta, Ducati 999 and the Honda CBR650RR are great looking bikes - but I would never buy one of these!

Hope this helps!
I hate to contradict, but I actually found that the 749...same seating position as 999...was a lot more comfortable to ride than my Gixxer 600. Less fatigue on the wrists and back. As far as the MV, the Brutale is definitely a comfy bike to ride.

· Registered
108 Posts
Go to the MSF course immediately. Im not sure how true it is, but i hear some places may actually provide 250cc size bikes for you to use.

It was also said in a different thread, but practice in empty parking lots before getting tooo involved in traffic. Practice makes perfect!

Congrats on the new bike!

· Registered
1,633 Posts
Buying a sportsbike with no experience doesn't mean the end of the world, but repeating the others, get the training, get the protective gear and take it easy.

Be safe and have fun!

· Registered
3,027 Posts
stevie c said:
Buying a sportsbike with no experience doesn't mean the end of the world, but repeating the others, get the training, get the protective gear and take it easy.

Be safe and have fun!
If it's yellow like Stevies, they're slow, nothing to worry about! Now the red one's a different story!
J/K

· Registered
1,633 Posts
Gixxerdale said:
If it's yellow like Stevies, they're slow, nothing to worry about! Now the red one's a different story!
J/K
YUK YUK YUK! :mrgreen:

· Registered
1,633 Posts
hrglas said:
Is yellow really the fastest color.... :mrgreen: im ahead of the game already then :mrgreen:
Yes it is!
Just ask me or LayinLo if you aren't sure and take no notice of Gixxerdale! :mrgreen:

· Registered
1,081 Posts
Yes. Yellow is the the fastest.

Please be careful of the throttle, it is VERY twitchy. From 1st through 4th the accelleration has the potential to pull the bars right out of your left hand. The only thing that will save you in such an instance is if you managed to achieve enough accelleration to pull the front wheel off the ground at the same time you lose grip.

Be easy on the bike and save your showing off for a later time. The bike's power will definitley outlast your squidliness. Just be patient.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.