Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I was just on the "Off Topic" forum, and one of the threads there gave me pause. LayinLo put up a link for a Yoshi product that claims you don't need to engage the clutch to shift... Umm... My bike already does that :?

Is that good.. bad.. or not a concern?

Don't get me wrong, I always clutch when shifting, but I also know that I can upshift without squeezing my clutch (never tried this while downshifting yet). I can just pop it up to the next gear without effort. The guy I bought my bike from, mentioned that to me, and although I tried it a few times, I still refrain from doing it while riding; more like I tried it out just because he said it does that. I've never actually tried that on any other bikes, so I don't know if it's the same all the way around, and I've never asked before... So now I'm asking. :hry:

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I've upshifted and downshifted without using the clutch, but only by accident. It happened while I was moving my foot over or under the shifter and accidentally bumped it too hard. It didn't do anything other than lurch slightly and scare me a little. Doing that every now and then won't cause much harm, but I would think that doing it repeatedly would cause damage to your transmission, sprockets, chain, and possibly the engine. Then again...I'm a computer guy, not a mechanic. :wink:

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
Racers do it to cut a few hundredths. Some do it all the time just to be cool. Actually, you can shift almost any modern manual transmission (bike or car) if you just match the revs. When upshifting, let the engine slow with slight pressure on the shifter. It'll pop in when speeds match. When downshifting, blip the throttle and do the same.

The clutch is there for a reason. If you don't use it, you will cause accelerated wear on the tranny.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks ALL for the input and information. It makes sense that not using the clutch would wear down the transmission, as I would assume it would be, because it's the same with cars (all I've ever owned were manual transmissions). Which is why I continued using the clutch even after I knew I didn't "need" to.

Nut - I'll look into the electrical shifter. Haven't seen/heard of anyone having one, but I have to go to a bike shop this weekend, and I can ask someone to have a look-see..

Thanks, guys! 8)

·
Registered
23 Posts
RowdyRed94 said:
Racers do it to cut a few hundredths. Some do it all the time just to be cool. Actually, you can shift almost any modern manual transmission (bike or car) if you just match the revs. When upshifting, let the engine slow with slight pressure on the shifter. It'll pop in when speeds match. When downshifting, blip the throttle and do the same.

The clutch is there for a reason. If you don't use it, you will cause accelerated wear on the tranny.
Never heard truer words spoken. :twisted:

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
This product is an electronic shifter that only lets you shift UP without the clutch; not down. Its considered a race product and it cuts the ignition for a milisecond when you press on the shift lever. I'm not sure how effective this is and I'm not thouroughly educated on the matter either.

·
Registered
864 Posts
jaydog19833 said:
This product is an electronic shifter that only lets you shift UP without the clutch; not down. Its considered a race product and it cuts the ignition for a milisecond when you press on the shift lever. I'm not sure how effective this is and I'm not thouroughly educated on the matter either.

They have other models that let you shift both directions. I don't remember exactly how it all works but do know they are out there. Mainly used for racing and honestly don't serve much of a purpose on the street unless you just want to spend money because you have an excess of it

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TL chris said:
I never heard of an electric shifter. I don know they have air shifters for drag racing bikes.
Yeah, air shifters are the only ones I knew about too.. I have a few friends that drag down at MIR.

·
Registered
1 Posts
APK Developments Air Shifter ECU

Hello,

The electric shifter you are questioning is the same name as an air shifter. They are sometimes called an electric over air shifter too. The most popular shift controller out there is from MPS www.mpsracing.com

For those interested in the latest and greatest, we have introduced a new "closed loop" air shifter that gives you full throttle up-shifts at the push of a button. Below is a description from our site:

The MS120 is a semi-automatic up-shift control unit. It is for use on sequential gearboxes, like motorcycles. It’s digital operation features a closed loop system to give you the fastest shifts, at the touch of a button, even at full throttle. When the shift up button is pressed, the ECU will cut the ignition and wait the user adjusted kill time. It then actuates the shift cylinder to perform the shift. A shift cylinder sensor monitors when the shift has been completed. When the shift is completed, ignition is restored. No time is wasted, as this method uses only the time needed to complete the shift. The system also features a "Kill Safety" function, which, if a shift has not been completed within 200 ms, the ECU will abort the shift to prevent the engine from turning off completely.

For more information, you can visit www.apk-developments.com

Thank you,
Alex

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've heard/read that not using the clutch to upshift is easier on the part especially the clutch plates....that's coming from the Ienatsch's, Parks, Houghs of the world......I'm pretty sur they have better mechanics and more money than I do so that may be a factor.

I tried it today while riding and found it to be pretty easy and definitely quicker.

I probably wouldn't do it all the time but during a spirited twisty run I may.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
Would you rather replace a clutch plate or rebuild a tranny? Clutches are sacrificial parts, much like brake pads. You wouldn't rev your engine to the sky to slow the bike in order to save the brake pads, would you?

·
Registered
304 Posts
RowdyRed94 said:
Would you rather replace a clutch plate or rebuild a tranny? Clutches are sacrificial parts, much like brake pads. You wouldn't rev your engine to the sky to slow the bike in order to save the brake pads, would you?
No, I'm just parroting what the "experts" have said. They said it was far harder on the clutch than the tranny.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The new Sport Rider had a spiel on this. They said its helps on the track. but around town and the street i don't see why.

·
Registered
352 Posts
red7eb said:
Ok, I was just on the "Off Topic" forum, and one of the threads there gave me pause. LayinLo put up a link for a Yoshi product that claims you don't need to engage the clutch to shift... Umm... My bike already does that :?

Is that good.. bad.. or not a concern?
My two cents:
Everyone can shift without using the clutch (upshift being easier).
The question is: what do you need that for?
When driving on the roads I'm more relaxed and don't look for my "best lap time" so I use the cluch. On the other hand when I'm in the track I try so save time and always upshift w/o using the clutch...sometimes I use it but don't untwist the throttle (does it make sense? I mean full gas, clutch, upshift, release the clutch). I still wonder which of the two slows me down the less. I will compare times and let you know :)

ciao, Janis

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, so then does clutching while you upshift but NOT rolling off the throttle cause, or have potential to cause, any damage to the transmission as well???

I'm not saying I'm trying all this, but knowledge is knowledge, and Janis' response prompted another question..

:)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts