Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for anyone. I recently purchased this used bike. The speedo cable was missing. Further investigation I believe the gear on the front wheel is also broken due to it spins freely. I have ordered both parts. All the research I have done shows this gear and cable connection on the opposite side of the disc brake on the other side of the wheel. Is it possible that someone has taken it off and mounted it on the opposite side by accident? It is was simple as removing the axle and remounting the part on the other side?

See attached pictures.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,155 Posts
Given what you have said, a previous owner might have put on a different wheel with the brake rotor on the other side......and retained the speedo connection just for a spacer.

But doing that kind of a wheel change wouldn't be as easy as you might think.

A wider angle shot might be helpful to those who really know about that model. I don't.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pulled the wheel off this weekend and you were 100% spot on. The wheel is not the original and it is a 19" not the 21" that came stock. I can't find a replacement anywhere. The one that is on the bike has been rigged and the only thing holding the axle in place is the pinch bolt.

I have check Ebay and Salvage yards. Any ideas where to get a replacement wheel?

·
Registered
98 Posts
The tang you see inside the speedo drive isn't broken, it's supposed to move with the wheel. It locates with the speedo cable, turning with the rotation of the front wheel and in turn, moving the indicator needle inside the speedometer.

You're also correct in that the speedo drive should be on the left side and the spacer should be on the right.

As you've mentioned, the stock front wheel on your 1997 would be a 21". On the 2000 & up models, they run a stock 19" front wheel. But those wheels are interchangeable, a direct swap-out. Just as you could run a 19" on your '97 if you choose, I could swap-out the 19" on my 2002 and run a 21". Personal call, but if given a choice between a 19" or 21" front wheel, I'll take the 19". Better handling and more sure-footed.

Whatever you decide to do, just wanted to add that when you re-install the speedo drive, please make sure to pack it with hi-temp grease before installation. I forgot to do that one time on a different bike and the speedo drive overheated, breaking a plastic locator inside, which stopped my speedo from working.

·
Registered
98 Posts
That's a very good point and may be the reason why the previous owner didn't bother hooking up the speedo after changing the wheel size, altho' the least he could have done was install the unused speedo drive on the correct side, LOL!

I checked the parts diagrams at BikeBandit and compared front wheel parts between the 1997 & the 2002 models. All part numbers are the same on both for axle caps, spacer, bearings, axle, rotor, etc. The ONLY exception is that the part #'s for the respective speedo drives are different. On the 1997, which would normally have the stock 21" front wheel, the speedo drive part # is 54600-38A11, speedo drive for the 2002 with stock 19" front wheel has a part # of 54600-38A30. Is it possible that the calibration for the speedo is managed in their respective speedo drives ? If this is the case then the only additional part needed to do a full swap-out would be to buy the speedo drive indicated for that particular sized wheel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts