Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions for gearing my bike. It is an '03 SV1KS. I want to gain a little more bottom end but without sacrificing too much on the top. I don't want it screaming at me while cruising at 65-70 down the highway. Nothing drastic, just a little more "get-up-and-go". Also, what is the stock configuration? Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
12,796 Posts
I don't want it screaming at me while cruising at 65-70 down the highway. Nothing drastic, just a little more "get-up-and-go".
I think you're gonna have to explain that a bit.

Do you want it to be quicker off the line?? If so, I think you are being foolish.
Handled properly, what you already have can be a ROCKET off the line.

Is your objective to quiet it down at cruising speed......and not be quite so "spirited" off the line ??
That's what most riders seem to want to do. If you can find a front that is +1, it should do that nicely; cheaper and easier than messing with the rear......but a larger change with only 1 tooth.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
I've read quite a bit about regearing Bandits. Should be similar. A one-tooth front or three-tooth rear gear reduction results in a few hundred rpm at highway speeds. It usually doesn't impact fuel economy much. Honestly, more important is where it puts the buzzy rpms of your engine.

Like ER said, though, you should have plenty off the line stock. How many miles do you personally have on the bike? Do you know how to launch it well? These bikes get to 60 in 3 or less. You won't improve that very much, if at all.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ok to clarify, I'm not wanting to gear it up. I am considering going to a lower gear. Looking to gain a little bottom end power. But not so drastic a change that I lose alot of top end. I don't want the engine wound out at 70mph. Not interested in off-the-line launches as I don't drag race. Does it have plenty of power off the line? That is a matter of personal opinion. The bike is extremely fast and since I don't ride around doing 140+mph, it could stand to be geared down a bit. The only downside I can see is loss of top speed and fuel mileage. It gets 48-49mpg city now. I dont think gearing it down mildly is gonna make a huge difference in the city mileage and that is where I do most of my riding. If anyone has any useful information on this subject, I would appreciate it.

·
M-J Member of the Month!!
2,758 Posts
Clint is right in that gearing it down won't help much at all off the line. To help off the line, you would get better results with an extended swing arm and lowering the front end. But then the handling is ruined. The limiting factor on most stock sport bikes is not the gearing, but being able to keep the front end down. If you are getting a good launch, your front wheel will be hovering over the ground by a few inches. Where gearing down will help you more, is when you are looking for better roll-on at lower rpms. It will help you when accelerating out of a corner or pass the blue-hair in the Cadillac. If, when on the roads you ride the most, you are finding the gearing a little off then a change would be good. Such as, when you are coming out of a lot of the corners, one gear is a bit too high but the next one is a little too low.

As, you said, it is all up to personal opinion and it is your bike. Your bike is a wheelie monster now, just be prepared when you gear it down.

·
Super Moderator
12,796 Posts
I am considering going to a lower gear. Looking to gain a little bottom end power.

Not interested in off-the-line launches as I don't drag race. Does it have plenty of power off the line? That is a matter of personal opinion.
What constitutes "useful information" is also a matter of personal opinion.

I know this is not what you want to hear.....because I don't have a bike like yours.....but the above two statements seem to be in conflict with each other.

Your bike has torque and horsepower to spare. If you gear it lower, you will just have to wind out the engine higher to get the same resulting speed in a given gear. If you are NOT wanting to get better "off the line launches" then what exactly IS IT that you are trying to accomplish ??

What most "non-racing" riders find is that it FEELS like it has more power in the lower gears if you RAISE the final drive ratio because you can stay in each gear a bit longer and be at a higher speed.

Others will no doubt chime in; maybe even some with experience in what you are wanting to do. Just consider all the information you get carefully before you spend any money.......that may be wasted.
:bluethum:

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
My post was made with understanding of your questions. I don`t know what else we could tell you.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Clint is right in that gearing it down won't help much at all off the line. To help off the line, you would get better results with an extended swing arm and lowering the front end. But then the handling is ruined. The limiting factor on most stock sport bikes is not the gearing, but being able to keep the front end down. If you are getting a good launch, your front wheel will be hovering over the ground by a few inches. Where gearing down will help you more, is when you are looking for better roll-on at lower rpms. It will help you when accelerating out of a corner or pass the blue-hair in the Cadillac. If, when on the roads you ride the most, you are finding the gearing a little off then a change would be good. Such as, when you are coming out of a lot of the corners, one gear is a bit too high but the next one is a little too low.

As, you said, it is all up to personal opinion and it is your bike. Your bike is a wheelie monster now, just be prepared when you gear it down.
Ok. I think you get where I'm coming from. I want more power, not more speed. Wanna pass the blue-hairs with less down-shifting if you catch my drift. The bike has plenty of top speed so I don't mind losing a little. Yeah it is a wheelie monster now and geared down it'll be even easier to carry the front around. I'm actually counting on it. I'm aware of the results of lowering or raising gear ratios. I'm just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on rear sprocket sizes on the SV1000 they may have changed to.
(edit) Am I the only one on the SV section of this forum that actually rides an SV? LoL

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
You never get more power from gearing. You only change the speed at which it's available for a given gear. For passing, you won't raise rpm enough to make a difference. You'll still need to downshift if you find it necessary to do so now. Frankly, I don't. At any speed over 50 or so, top gear is fine.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You never get more power from gearing. You only change the speed at which it's available for a given gear. For passing, you won't raise rpm enough to make a difference. You'll still need to downshift if you find it necessary to do so now. Frankly, I don't. At any speed over 50 or so, top gear is fine.
OK, so you are saying that gearing a bike lower isn't going to increase horsepower at the rear wheel? Just want to make sure I understand you.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I posted this thread in hopes that some SV owners who had changed the gearing on thier bikes may have some suggestions. Since this is an SV forum. The forum is so dead that the only replies I got were from non-SV owners (according to thier profiles, anyway.) None of which seemed to offer any useful information. I thought the title of the thread was pretty clear. Maybe not. Maybe all of Motorcycle-Journal's forums are dead. I seem to be the only person to post a thread in over a week. I think I'll stick to the SVRider Forums.

·
2,758 Posts
If he lowers the gearing slightly, he won't necissarily have to gear down when he is now. If he gears it to raise him up into his power band, then he will get better acceleration in a given gear. It can move him up into a better portion of the power band. It may take a little trial and error though and I think that is why he is asking. I think he is trying to avoid buying three or four rear sprockets. From everything I have read on the SV is that it is geared a bit high and kind of loafs at about 4,500 rpm at about 75. It really depends on the type of ridding that he is going to be doing and what he is looking to accomplish.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
True, Dave, but 4500 on a SV1 or Bandit12 is right in the meat of the power curve. You don't wind these engines out like a Gixxer. I just don't think he's going to see the gains he expects. Gearing is almost always done for the track on the Liter standards, to get off the line more quickly.

·
2,758 Posts
Clint, I was just looking at the torque/power curve, and the biggest weakness I see in it is a dip at about 4k to 6k rpm. I wonder if a Power Commander, Cobra, or something similar would better suit his purpose. Maybe coupled with a slip on. Flatten out that dip and it would make a world of difference. The torque curves off and the HP tappers off at 7.5k so, you are right that much past that point would not help much.

·
Super Moderator
12,796 Posts
Maybe all of Motorcycle-Journal's forums are dead. I seem to be the only person to post a thread in over a week. I think I'll stick to the SVRider Forums.
I detect a hint of an attitude.
There aren't that many SV riders here.
The ones that ARE, are probably out riding.
No one forum can be all things to all people.
Glad there is another place that you find more helpful. :bluethum:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If he lowers the gearing slightly, he won't necissarily have to gear down when he is now. If he gears it to raise him up into his power band, then he will get better acceleration in a given gear. It can move him up into a better portion of the power band. It may take a little trial and error though and I think that is why he is asking. I think he is trying to avoid buying three or four rear sprockets. From everything I have read on the SV is that it is geared a bit high and kind of loafs at about 4,500 rpm at about 75. It really depends on the type of ridding that he is going to be doing and what he is looking to accomplish.

Finally a post that makes sense! Thank you Dave. The principles of gearing are pretty simple. The ONLY reason for me posting this thread was to get input from SV riders that have already experimented with gearing so I could save some time and money as Dave stated. The bike is pretty much stock with the exception of the Yoshi RS3 Slip-ons although a PC3 is in the near future. Attitude? I don't think so. Just stating that I wanted input from SV riders about gearing options, not a tutorial. I am already aware of Pro's/Con's of changing gear ratios. BTW, if lower gear ratios don't equal better acceleration, why aren't drag racers running 2.43 gears instead of 4.11's and 5.13's? Of course making the rear tire easier for the engine to turn is going to result in greater acceleration. It's for a car but the principle is the same with any vehicle...Optimum Rear Gear

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
BTW, Dave you are correct. Although the SV1000 doesn't really want for power anywhere, it's weakest spot is between 3.5 and 4.5k. From 4.5k-up, it's nothing but nasty. When cruising at about 60-65, I am right in that 1k range. A slight gearing change that would put me around the top of that range would make a phenominal difference. A PC3 and some custom mapping would likely resolve the issue as well but sprockets are alot cheaper than a $350 PC3 and will probably make more of a difference. I appreciate everyone's help, don't get me wrong. It's just that I am beyond deciding if I should change sprockets. Now I am just trying to figure out how much I want to drop the gear.
:wheelie:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts