Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... I finally got the cast off and am free from crutches.....and able to walk on two legs again after 2 months.
Finally got to put some miles on my (new to me) 2005 Rebel 250..logged about 250- miles in the last week :)
Only to find out I have a shifting into neutral problem. I am unable to get it into neutral while the bike is running.
It's not only me but more experienced riders have ridden it and have same problem.
We can not get it to go into neutral from 1st nor able to shift down from 2nd to neutral while engine running.
If you turn the engine off then it easily shifts into neutral.
According to internet search this seems to be a common problem on Rebels.
Seems easiest thing is to deal with it but I'm open to any suggestions if there are any easy fixes.
It shifts easily into all gears and clutch play seems to be exact as manual recommends.
Oil change and other maintenance all done when I bought the bike 6 weeks ago.
It's just a hassle to have to kill the bike when I stop to take phone call (have headset...but sometimes will stop to take call if important and call likely to be lengthy) or other such occurence.
Other than this minor hassle I have loved being back in the saddle again.....
Any easy fixes recommended ?

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Sounds like the selector drum may have some wear....or the selector mechanism may need attention. Some bikes have an external selector lever system...usually under a cover on the RH side of the bike Bandit 1200's did....a simple stop mechanism for each gear. If not that then it may be the selector fork for that particular gear....worst case scenario.

I wonder if the clutch plates are gummy and its just binding a little....wouldn't hurt to remove them and check it out...this may be the case if the bike sat for a while and the easy change with the motor off supports this.

Good Luck.

I just had a look on the interwebs and this is from a specific forum.....

Turns out the problem had nothing to do with the shift fork, the issue was that the shift lever was contacting the wrong part of the shift drum assembly. Instead of contacting the pins, it was contacting the shaped piece of metal attached to the end - the one that keeps it in the gear the rider has chosen.

To fix it I needed to pull the left side cover off to expose the shift lever. There was a shaped piece of metal at the top of the shift drum - it holds the pins in place and works with a lever to keep the shift drum in a particular orientation.

I had to remove the lever and the plate in order to move the shift arm into the correct position - with the pins at the end of the drum in the gap between the teeth of the shift fork.

After that I simply bolted the plate and the arm back in place.

Might be just what you need....Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
12,406 Posts
According to internet search this seems to be a common problem on Rebels.
Any easy fixes recommended ?
You have answered your own question.

The ONLY fix is: Practice, practice, practice.
If you wear thick riding boots, a slight adjustment of the shifter might help but really it is just getting used to the feather touch you need to hit neutral consistently.

Every bike is a little different in this respect.
Kawasaki has a "neutral finder" feature that makes it easier.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts