Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided to do some tweaking to the carbs over my winter break this year and am very happy with the results i got.

Heres what i did:
1. desnorkled air filter
2. rejetted to 152.5 mains and 17.5 pilots
3. 2 shimms under jet needle
4. 2.5 turns out on air/fuel screw
5. installed tank spacers from Ace Hardware (not sure if they do anything, but they look cool)

My bike hits hard in the midrange now and revs a bit quicker. It only costs $10 for the jets if you order from Parts Unlimited and the shimms are just washers you can get a Ace for $.06. The tank spacers are also from Ace and they are about $4 and are called collar locks. If anyone else is interested in doing this here's the site i used: Rejet sv650 carbs quickly and easily for $10.00 It has a walk through of everything i did with pics and a video.

Some things to note:
1. this only applies to 1st gen SV's (99-02)
2. It is not recomended to desnorkle without having a full exhaust system
3. If you do not have a washable air filter, i would'nt desnorkle bc you literally get thousands of plastic shavings all over the filter. I had to wash my K&N 5 times to get all the shavings out

Heres some pics:

I also installed some dual headlights. I still need to paint the speedo and tach covers

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
Nice work, E. How about some real pics? I can't see a thing in them thumbnails!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thats the best i can do for now. I keep getting an error each time i try to upload the hi res pics from my PC

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
I still can't tell what you did to the tank.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The first one is the b4 shot. Look where the tank bolts to frame near handle bars

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
So you're lifting the tank to get more airflow?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats the idea. There is a big debate on another forum as to whether it actually does anything. Some swear it does, others think it does nothing. It made sense to me and only cost $4 and i think it looks cool; so i figured why not?

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
Well, if it looks cool. ;-)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally painted the speedo and tach covers along with some other stuff.

If the paint holds up, the exhaust is getting blacked out next

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wrapped and blacked out my exhaust pipe. Cant decide if I want to do the can or not....

See above for b4 shot

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
If you do i'd leave the end pieces silver.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I thought about that but the only problem is the end piece that connects to the pipe is all burnt lookin due to a blown gasket...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts