Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone wandering if anyone can help me. I reciently replaced a snapped clutch cable on my Honda and later found that my Rev counter jumps straight to 2000 revs when I turn on the engine. Could this be related to the clutch or is it a separate problem. How can I fix it. Thanks in advance for your replies. I would like to know what the cause of this is and how I can fix it

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
You may have dislodged something when you fitted the new cable...the cable could be catching the carb linkage causing it to hang or something else has got jammed because of the routing of the clutch cable. I would remove the tank and check it all out....it may just be the throttle cable has got pushed or kinked.

If there is no obvious problem then you may just has a hanging throttle which needs fixing and just happened to show up after the clutch cable issue.

One other thing....are you trying to ride off with the rising revs doing nothing to propel the bike or does it just happen on its own. If its the former then you have clutch slip which will almost certainly be due to the new cable either jamming....being kinked or being out of adjustment.

Good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You may have dislodged something when you fitted the new cable...the cable could be catching the carb linkage causing it to hang or something else has got jammed because of the routing of the clutch cable. I would remove the tank and check it all out....it may just be the throttle cable has got pushed or kinked.

If there is no obvious problem then you may just has a hanging throttle which needs fixing and just happened to show up after the clutch cable issue.

One other thing....are you trying to ride off with the rising revs doing nothing to propel the bike or does it just happen on its own. If its the former then you have clutch slip which will almost certainly be due to the new cable either jamming....being kinked or being out of adjustment.

Good luck

Good luck
I’ll try looking at the throttle as I suspect there is an issue with it the bike seems to be going faster in lower gears then it did before and I’m having to change up almost as soon as I take off it’s hard to keep to the 20mph speed limit near where I live it’s jumping to 45 mph almost straight away. No trouble pulling off and I routed the cable in the same position and adjusted it it seems to be working fine only one other thing could be I bought a cable from eBay which was too small and I rode a few miles to work with it but I eventually got the right one from Honda Thanks for your reply

·
Super Moderator
13,713 Posts
Rev counter jumps straight to 2000 revs when I turn on the engine.
I assume that you really mean "when you START the engine", right ?
That sounds like your throttle cable is sticking OR the twist grip OR the throttle stop mechanism on the carb.
It may be mostly a coincidence that this happened at the same time as the clutch cable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That sounds like your throttle cable is sticking OR the twist grip OR the throttle stop mechanism on the carb.
It may be mostly a coincidence that this happened at the same time as the clutch cable.
Yes it’s when I turn on ignition. I think you are correct about the throttle cable issue. Thank you I’ll have a look at that

·
Super Moderator
13,713 Posts
Yes it’s when I turn on ignition.
NO, those are two DIFFERENT things.
Just turning the ignition ON does not "start" the engine.
And if the tach goes up to 2K with the ignition ON but the engine not running,
then that would be a whole different problem.
Properly describing the problem is important.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry I ment when I turn th engine on it jumps from 0 to 2 it stays at 0 when the engine is turned off

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
If the revs rise without you touching the throttle it may be an air leak. Check the rubber boots at both ends for any loose bolts and any cracks or splits. You may also have an air leak somewhere else such as a loose carb bowl or worn jets.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If the revs rise without you touching the throttle it may be an air leak. Check the rubber boots at both ends for any loose bolts and any cracks or splits. You may also have an air leak somewhere else such as a loose carb bowl or worn jets.
thanks I ll check that out

1 - 11 of 11 Posts