Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody!

My long awaited vacation is finally here and I am planning on riding the M solo down into California from up here in B.C. I figure to have atleast 7 days for sure available so I have a fair amount of time to see the sights down there. I did the Oregon Coast a couple of years ago, boogieing down the I-5 and then over to Florence and working my way back up through Washington.

I am thinking of running down the I-5 to San Fran and then over to Yosemite to do some sightseeing and camping, and then returning up the 101 back up to Oregon. This would get the long hours over with at the start (8-10 hour days) and leave me to take my time coming home to B.C.

I know we have many fine members on here from Cali and Oregon and would love any advice on must-see places,twisty roads to ride, or help with my route planning. I know this thread isn't exactly ABOUT the M50, but I swear I am riding it and will post lots of pictures to prove it (must keep mods happy...:bluethum:)

thanks so much in advance for any advice you may have...
Cheers,
MATT

·
Registered
35 Posts
The CA-41 into Yosemite is a nice ride on the M. I had a chance to do it about a week ago. You go through some nice twisties, and some nice towns along the way. In Yosemite, you definitely need to check out half-dome. If you have the time to hike it, it is well worth it!

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Make sure to bring and extra drive shaft ,and final drive primary gear.
lol
Seriously...I'd be scared to go that far knowing what I know now.
Grease that drive before you go ,or at the very least inspect it please!
Best of luck to ya sir.
CS

·
Cookie Monstress.
5,192 Posts
I would take 89 out of Weed ( around there somewheres) instead of 5... visit lake tahoe and go south on 395 to come in to Yosemite from the back side......

I also recommend HIGHLY hiway 96 (amazing river valley...unspoiled views...moderately twisty ride),
and in no particular order, 49, 299, 9, Skyline drive, 17, 35

It will be hot

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Haven't ever done 101, but if it's half as good as its reputation you gotta do that.

My suggestion is for the return trip and it would add a fair amount of time/miles (~230mi/368km) on roads that aren't as fast as interstates. Some are windy, elevated roads along the Columbia River. Some are through flat/hilly farmland (Yakima/Ellensburg, WA). Some are very windy through mountainous forest (between Ellensburg and Cashmere, WA). And some unkown to me (everything past Cashmere).

Instead of doing I-5 North after Portland (dreary, I know) go East at Vancouver, WA onto highway 14. Take 14 east along the North side of the Columbia River. From hwy 14 take hwy 97 north (8mi/5.4km east of Wishram, WA). Take hwy 97 north through Yakima and on to Ellensburg.

From Ellensburg continue on Hwy 97 North (via I-90 & hwy 10) to where 97 meets Hwy 2 (between Leavenworth, WA and Cashmere). Go East on Hwy 97 / Hwy 2 through Cashmere.

At Olds, WA stay on either Hwy 97 or Hwy 97A (one goes on the West side of the Wenatchee River and the other on the East side). Follow either North up through Chelan (if you took 97A), Pateros, Brewster and on to Okanagon, WA.

Hwy 97 blends with Hwy 20 at Okanagon/Omak and continue North out of Omak to Riverside, Tonasket and on to Oroville just below the US/CAN border. From there it's across the border and on to Peachland/Westbank.

At that point take Hwy 97C through Merritt to Kamloops. Or the backdoor through Kelowna, Vernon and Westworld/Monte Lake.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
many thanks to everyone who contributed advice on routes (I wrote it all down in my "travel journal" and will use as much as possible...the I-5 looks boooring...:lol4:)

thanks for your concern Burn... I ran out of time to tear apart the rear end, so I'm hoping with the combination of it being a low mileage bike and never seeing any water (yet...fingers crossed...) that I should be ok in that department.

thanks again and see you in a week or two!
cheers,
MATT

·
Registered
67 Posts
Took my m down from Prince George to San Fran last year. Took 101 from Olimpia all the way. took 4 days to get there that was 10 hours a day.
Left San Fran went to Lake Taho then on to Reno. Reno up to Eugine Origon.
Then across to Yakama way in to Ossoyoos and back to PG there was a 14 hour day in there somwhere. All done on stock seat. Had no feeling after first day. round trip took 9 days in total thats spending 1 day in San Fran.
Adrian

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
home from an amazing trip...worked out to 5,380 kms. I had great weather the entire time, save for the crazy winds blowing through Nevada and Eastern Oregon.

I did it as well on the stock (de-lumped thank god...) seat and it worked out to be not too bad as you have to stop for gas every couple of hours anyway.

Suzy (my bike) just purred along, well screamed actually due to the short gearing, but I had zero issues, not a drop of oil used and no new rattles or squeaks. I have to throw a plug out to Motorex semi-synthetic and Redline racing gear oil, they both worked out perfect on the bike.

Thanks again for the route info, and if anyone else is planning on doing any long trips on the West Coast I would be more than happy to give any info I could regarding campgrounds,diners,what to pack etc...

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
Sorry, but the M50 forum is already overused with OT stuff. Moving to regional. I will leave a redirect for a week, though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts