Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a great bike. I've been reading up on them and watching prices the last year or so in sort of a what-if shopping venture. I had it in my head what I thought that bike might feel like, and it fit my preconception like a glove.

First, it's EFI, so warmup was almost non-existant. The dealer started it, I put on my helmet and rode away. Second, the combination of a smooth clutch (despite being mechanical) and gobs of torque down low make this a very easy bike to ride. It felt much like my Bandit with regard to launching. Not once did I have concerns about stalling it. It pulled away smoothly and with good modulation.

The sound is magnificent, even with the stock pipes. Power is very linear and always available. The combination of its short wheelbase and sparse front end hardware make it quite easy to wheelie. Even in my modest 20-block ride I managed to lift the front tire a bit. There's lots of hooligan potential there.

Toward the end I started to feel heat under my thighs. The radiator fan had run some and it was no doubt blowing right at my legs. It wasn't a problem, but sitting at a light I could feel it.

Ergos are much like my Bandit up top, but the foot position is rearward more - not so much that I felt cramped, but definately further back. This gave me a straight-backed posture that felt quite comfortable. My inner thighs hugged the tank to anchor me in position. It felt sporty but not contorted. I really liked it.

I was only on the Triumph for a few minutes, but I didn't find one thing to complain about. It's a very fun bike that left me with a big grin. The dealer, Moto Primo in Minneapolis, apparently purchased a large number of S3's by mistake and is offering them at $8999. I wasn't intending to buy a new bike as a second, but man....

·
Still crazy after all these years
14,183 Posts
You rode the Speed Triple 1050? Now I'm really jealous.

Ever since I saw it, I've been saying that if anything happens to my 1400, the next bike would certainly be a Triumph Sprint ST 1050. I really like the sport-touring bikes, and the Triumph is just beautiful. I love the sound, and I also like the looks (the 3 untertail exhausts look GREAT!).

But, alas, I can only afford one bike at a time. Now that the Suzuki is paid off, the new car is on the way...

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
i'm with you on the sprint st. I went to a demo day for triumph earlier this yr rode the S3, rocket 3, daytona 675, and the sprint. The S3 though a nice bike just isn't my bag a chips. I loved the sprint and can see it as my next bike. The other 2 I was not impressed with at all.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I am jealous too. Glad to hear it was everything you expected. The S3 has always been one of my favorites, but never had the chance to ride one.

If you like the position of that, try out a Buell Lightning. I would like to hear your opinion of one of those.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Sounds like a wonderful bike! I would just love one!

I wonder if getting one would be a disappointment, though. You know, you have something up on a pedestal, so inevitably it can't live up to that....

I'm usually more optimistic than that; I'm gonna get one!

jim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for sharing your opinion about the S3. I'm thinking of buying one this year and have wanted to know how other peoples' experiences have been with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts