Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I'm brand new to your site and hope to find it a neat resource as i'm just getting back into riding after a long hiatus! I am the new owner of an 05' C50 with just over 5k on it. Just changed the oil on it simply b/c it looked darker then i care to see. Thats about all i've done to it since i bought it 2 weeks ago, other then ride ride ride...!!!
Seems to be hesitating now whenever i stay at any rpm other than idle and running rich perhaps? I haven't done anything different that i can speak to other than put 87 octane in it once, current tank is high test. I'm wondering if the hesitation and rough running could be cleared up with something as simple as a trusted (advice more than welcome obviously) fuel injector cleaner or what... This has gotten rougher over the past 2 days and i'm starting to get a little paranoid, definately not wanting to do any damage. If anyone has an idea or two or ten, i'd love to hear where you suggest i start with this one!

Sure appreciate any clarity,
Ryan O.
Clarksville, Va.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Some fuel injector cleaner and/or dry gas is a good place to start, as bad gas or water in the gas will cause issues. Also, double check to make sure the hose attached to the air cleaner is completely seated and the clamp is tight.

·
Super Moderator
12,828 Posts
current tank is high test.
That may actually be a partial cause of the trouble.

I like Berrymans B12 Chemtool for carbs and troubled injectors; Techron for routine injector use.

If you don't know about the plugs, changing them might be good too.

What makes you think it might be rich ??

Any mods to pipes or intake ??

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to you both for the ideas. I will see what i can find injector cleaner-wise in Raleigh tomorrow. And to Easy Rider, did talk to a friend who suggested i change the plugs out as well, great idea! i'll throw some ngk's on tomorrow and see if between good high octane gas, checking the air hose, injector cleaner and a new set of plugs i can't get this bike back to running as smooth as she did earlier this week even! Thanks again and happy riding
Ryan O.

·
Super Moderator
12,828 Posts
and see if between good high octane gas,
You missed that point completely.

In some cases, high octane gas in an engine that doesn't need it will actually make the engine run worse.

AND because there is a slower "turnover" of the high octane stuff......especially at "cut rate" stations......the so called premium stuff is almost guaranteed to be older and more likely to be contaminated than the regular grade.

If you insist on using "premium", ride to the part of town with the most expensive houses and look for a really nice "upscale" station to get your gas.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see what you're saying Easy Rider. The premium i purchased was from a very busy, high turnover Sheetz on a busy hwy 58. So its probably the busiest in the area with the highest turnover. But i will run 87 locally, where there are very few gas station choices. Anyhow, thanks for the advice and i'll post if this is the sollution!
Ryan O.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, replaced the spark plugs with the ngk's that the bike calls for and used lucas injector cleaner as advised to do by you guys and an autozone employee/avid biker. The bike had fouled plugs and now seems to be running worse then before replacing the plugs today. Actually will idle for a little and shut off. Does this until it warms up and then will idle fine once warmed up. Drives like a jerky camel (as i imagine one to ride anyways). I thought maybe the lucas needed some time to work its magic (also used 87 octane this time at a busy gas station). Stood beside it tonight and tried to hold the throttle at a fixed rpm, this proves impossible to do as it just seems to be erratically up and down around the rpm i'm trying to hold. In a nut shell, running rough and smells rich of gas. Any thoughts before i try and find a mechanic to look at er'? I'm not making too much headway on my own thus far...Any advice always appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
12,828 Posts
I thought maybe the lucas needed some time to work its magic
That is true, but clogged jets usually makes it run lean, not rich.

You did set the plug gap before installing them, right ??

My only remaining suggestions are:
Check intake and pipes for obstructions (critter nest).
Drain the float bowls.
Check the operation of the choke/enricher. Needs to be ON when cold, OFF when hot.
Sometimes people get it backwards.

Do a short test with the air filter OUT; sometimes they can be plugged and you can't tell.

After that, you may need professional help.

Is the bike 100% stock, as far as you know ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Easy Rider, yes the bike is stock as far as i know. Gentleman i bought it from is well respected in the community and a friend of several people i hold in high esteem. He took plenty of time to answer any questions i had and told me what he knew. There is no choke or enricher on this bike being f/i. That's all i know. Talked to another guy in the community this evening that rides religiously and he suggested many of the things you have been kind enough to dish my way and also gave me the number and name of a local shop guy that services all his bikes and quads etc, that he's been extremely happy with. I'm gonna have hip give it a once over, which i didn't do before purchasing, tomorrow if he's able to. I think i'll watch so as i may learn some more about my new toy. Thanks for all your info!
Ryan O.

·
Super Moderator
12,828 Posts
There is no choke or enricher on this bike being f/i.
I thought you mentioned "Carbs" but in looking back, I guess not. (embarrassed!)

In that case, you probably should do a fuel filter too.

If it is running rich, the first suspect would be an injector stuck open and that is often a "replace" rather than repair.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts