Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone offer any hints and tips on Route 50 in Nevada? Highlights, road conditions, temperatures in early June, etc.? Appreciate it.

Elvis

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Early June is a crapshoot for weather,so far this year it's been nutzo in the NW.
Typicaly it should be pretty nice with daytime highs in the 80's and pretty dry.
There are some pretty long stretches in between gas stations so gas up where you can.
It's a great ride I can tell you that.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Grand Tour of the Western US

I posted the following in our local board and here's one more time for everybody. Photos are at Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

My best friend and I got back from a three week road trip. We took the long way to Durango, Colorado and got home on Saturday riding through Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana and Idaho. We logged more than 8000 km or 5000 miles and visited many national and state parks:

- Crater Lake NP, OR
- Avenue of the Giants in Redwoods NP, CA
- Lassen Volcanic NP, CA
- Great Basin NP, NV
- Capitol Reef NP, UT
- Glen Canyon National Recreational Area, UT
- Natural Bridges National Monument, UT
- Valley of the Gods, UT
- Monument Valley, UT and AZ
- Four Corners Monument, UT, AZ, NM, CO
- Arches NP, UT
- Canyonlands NP (The Needles and Island in the Sky), UT
- Dead Horse Point SP, UT

I was looking forward to crossing desert on the loneliest road in America, the famous US 50 in Nevada and we were not disappointed. We also did HWY 93 in Idaho, from Bear Lake, UT, via garden City, Montpelier, Pocatello, Atomic City to Salmon (camped there) and Darby. It is the kind of ride you wish it never ends but you either run out of day light or run low on gas. My wife says she could ride it three times a year.

So many great roads, so many memories and so many photos (we snapped around 2000 pix), I`ll post a more detailed trip report with photos once I get back in to daily routine.

Cheers,

Elvis

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Good for you, it sounds like a great ride, and I see you took your time to stop and smell the roses along the way, so many people are just interested in putting in MILES that they just ride right past a lot of really cool places.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Great ride indeed,I've ridden pretty much all of it at one time or another myself and I live smack dab in the middle of a good part of it.
Congrats and I'll bet you are already thinking about the next time.;)

By the way the pics were great too,brought back many memories of past trips I've made.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great ride indeed,I've ridden pretty much all of it at one time or another myself and I live smack dab in the middle of a good part of it.
Congrats and I'll bet you are already thinking about the next time.;)

By the way the pics were great too,brought back many memories of past trips I've made.
Y2K,

Thanks for the info on US50 in another post. As far as gas stops on US50, it wasn't that bad. My range might have improved though (the bike is a little under 30K km or 18.6K miles, so it's nicely broken in). we had such a blast riding over rolling desert hills, sage brushes, big skies, remoteness and occasional wildlife on the side of the road through the State of Nevada. As if US 50 were not lonely enough, we got off US 50 at Middlegate and got on SR 722 for 100 km/60 miles and back on US 50 again. A fedex truck left the road as we entered SR 722 and we did not see anybody but rabbits and antelopes there.

We've been to many famous/historic/western towns like The Dalles, Tahoe City, Genoa, Truckee, Carlson City, Virginia City, Eureka, Durango, Silverton, Ouray, Telluride and Reno.

We might tour the Mid-West next. Or cruise through Arizona and New Mexico a little more, want to see Arizona's giant cacti, want to see Santa Fe. Or pay a visit to Sturgis but before or after "the" event. Or do a Trans-Canada. Or bite the bullet and ride to Key West, Florida and back....

So many roads, so little time/money

Cheers,

E.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
So many roads, so little time/money

Cheers,

E.
Ain't that the truth brotha.:cool:

I've ridden every city on your list at one time or another,some of them numerous times.
I love the desert SW and the mountains of Colorado and of course right here in the great Pacific NW is some of the best riding on the planet.;)
We rode through Santa Fe a few years ago,it was nice but I wouldn't go out of my way to go there again.
I like parts of NM down around Carlsbad (don't miss the caverns if you go there) and up in the pines in Billy the Kid country (Lincoln) a lot better.
The country just North of Sante Fe is pretty spectacular though,From Pagosa Springs,CO to Los Alamos NM or the reverse is a great ride.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Y2K, I noted your tips, will mark the area on my road atlas when I get home. Thanks again.

Oh man, that locomotive had such a sweet sounding whistle. The engine pulled hard as we climbed the mountains to Silverton.

These pics make me feel like getting on the bike and just go but I'm a 1000 miles away from home....2 more sleeps...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts