Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki S50
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I don't need a tach. But this is the first bike I've had without one. It's simple enough to shift by feel, but sometimes when I'm cruising along I'm curious about just how high (or low) the engine is revving. The owners manual refers to running the engine in its "normal operating speed range", and refers to upshift speeds, but that's as far as it goes.

For anyone who has ever put a tach on one of these Suzuki 800cc engines, what kind of rpms are you seeing at different speeds through the gears? Is there a chart somewhere of speed per gear at what rpm? I remember being told my old Honda used to love to run at high rpm, and I'm wondering if Suzuki would be similar. It feels like at about 60 mph in 5th gear it's running around maybe 7-8k rpm, but that's just a guess.

Curious to hear if anyone has any actual figures. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
13,952 Posts
NO, the vtwin in an S50 doesn't like to run nearly that fast.

My guess based on a fading memory of what mine did would be about 6K.
I suspect that the redline/rev limiter is somewhere around 7.5K.

But if you really care, you should be able to get an add-on electronic tach.
They aren't very expensive and should be fairly easy to connect.

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki S50
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree. Seems whenever I search for an answer to a question, It's Dr. Bob who had an answer. Which leads me to a bit of a follow-up if I may.

Dr. Bob said: The VS750 and 800 are powered by small, high reving motors with a very high red line. Either will cruise at 85 MPH all day long without troubles. You are NOT "pushing the motor to the edge", as at 60 MPH the motor is less than halfway to the the 8500 RPM redline- in top gear the bike will do 105 before the rev limiter cuts in.

And then owners are talking about taking them over 100mph relatively effortlessly. I can't imagine that. As you mentioned in that thread, I guess it's mostly a matter of getting used to it (the sound of the engine, that is). I'm pretty content at 70 on occasion on the highway. But that's as much the fact that I really can't afford a ticket. ;)

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki S50
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ha ha, I think there was going to be, because it seemed that your comment:

NO, the vtwin in an S50 doesn't like to run nearly that fast.
My guess based on a fading memory of what mine did would be about 6K.
I suspect that the redline/rev limiter is somewhere around 7.5K.

...seemed to differ from Dr. Bob's that:

The VS750 and 800 are powered by small, high reving motors with a very high red line.

I guess high-revving is relative. I thought of my old Honda as 'high-revving' with a redline of10k rpm. Comparatively, 7500 seems to be 'relaxing'. :)

·
Super Moderator
13,952 Posts
...seemed to differ from Dr. Bob's that:

The VS750 and 800 are powered by small, high reving motors with a very high red line.
Yes, my memory was off a little.
But later in the thread he quotes numbers that are not too far from what I said.

One of the more fun bikes I've had was a Kaw Eliminator 600 with the engine from the 600 sport bike.
It's red line was indicated as 14,000 and that would give it a top speed of about 140 MPH.
I never fully tested that but did get over 90 a couple of times.......with TWO gears left. :oops:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts