Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After being told that my new bike needs new spark plugs, by a vetran TL1000 rider, I'm toying with the idea of using a slighly hotter plug.
The stock plug is CR9E. I'm thinking about using the iridium plug CR8E.
Any advice?

· Registered
5,192 Posts
Pull your old plugs. If the tips are black with a dry, fluffy coating, go to a hotter plug. If the plug is a brownish color, do NOT go to a hotter plug, stick with same ones. If the tips are white or light gray, with a bluish-burnt electrodes, then your current plug is too hot already and you need to go to a cooler plug.

· Registered
10 Posts
I have a Sudco Mikuni Tuning Manual that has a very good color picture of spark plugs cut in half. This shows the full range of examples of not only too rich--to hot, but too cold--to hot. This is a very good manual for reading and understanding spark plugs....and its a good manual for understanding and tuning Mikuni carbs.....I cant remember what site I got the manual from.....but Iam sure if you hit your internet search and type in Sudco Mikuni Tuning Manual, somebody selling it should come up....actually maybe even try Amazon......hope this helps....

· Registered
10 Posts
opps. I misworded some of my facts.....what I meant to say is examples from to rich--to lean",and to cold--to hot as well. And I noticed in my Chaparral 2004 Steet catalog that they sell the Sudco Mikuni Tuning manual page 410....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.