Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I bought a 2012 Roadstar with 430 original miles on it, Rode it home ran like a champ took it out again for a full day ride put probably close to 200 miles on it with no problems, but I didn’t like how quiet it was so I got some pipes for
It and it is much better, But it had some serious decel popping going on so I decided to get a Wiseco Fuel programmer & also learned to take off the AIS which cause most the popping noise from what I have read up on.
I also decided to relocate breather line that goes into the back of the Air Box
Along the Backbone of the frame along with removing the tank vent one way valves with just a straight hose down the front of the frame.
Since I've done this I have Accumulated hesitation, fouled plugs, crappy mileage, and A headache, I also notice the hotter it gets the worse it runs.. I’ve had tank off
And checked for Rust & anything else that might cause fuel restrictions but tank is clean.. so I was going to start with a new Fuel pump & screen tomorrow then sensors otherwise I’m stumped!!!

·
Super Moderator
13,512 Posts
Since I've done this I have Accumulated hesitation, fouled plugs, crappy mileage, and A headache, I also notice the hotter it gets the worse it runs.. I’ve had tank off
This is so sad.

YOU are your own worst enemy.
All the screwing around that you have done is CAUSING the problems that you are having.
Throwing additional money at it won't help and likely will just make matters worse.

Unless you put it all back stock it will continue to run like crap.
You might be able to keep the aftermarket pipes but you will just have to put up with the popping.
Some baffles should help that a little.

I fully understand that you won't like this answer......but it is the honest truth, based on about 50 years of experience.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is so sad.

YOU are your own worst enemy.
All the screwing around that you have done is CAUSING the problems that you are having.
Throwing additional money at it won't help and likely will just make matters worse.

Unless you put it all back stock it will continue to run like crap.
You might be able to keep the aftermarket pipes but you will just have to put up with the popping.
Some baffles should help that a little.

I fully understand that you won't like this answer......but it is the honest truth, based on about 50 years of experience.
I have taken the Fuel programmer off and probably will not be putting it back on.
As far as the air pump emissions stuff I don’t see why it would be affecting the way the bike runs.

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
You have to make sure you blocked off any holes when removing the AIS system and on some bikes it will not run right until it is reinstalled....they do this to stop people from removing it in the first place. The breather line may also need to be checked out that its not allowing too much air flow after being diddled with. Sadly ER is correct and its only going to get worse with Europe passing even more strict laws on what you can and cannot do to any internal combustion engine....gone are the days of loud belching exhausts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Breather line I believe Is just crank case pressure being blown back into the intake air box,

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
Yeah probably right...I wonder did you dislodge anything when removing the AIS system...electrical etc.. I would be tempted to slowly reinstall the bits back to original to narrow down the fault. The AIS will cause backfiring and popping on decel to be more pronounced with an aftermarket exhaust which typically has less sound deadening material inside.

Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Take it back to 100% stock INCLUDING THE EXHAUST then ride it and make sure it's fine, then make your changes one at a time followed by a good 1/2 hour or longer test ride and ensure it's okay before you make the next change .

As a Journeyman Mechanic I get paid lots to sort this sort of problem out you can and should do it your ownself to learn .

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well I bought a 2012 Roadstar with 430 original miles on it, Rode it home ran like a champ took it out again for a full day ride put probably close to 200 miles on it with no problems, but I didn’t like how quiet it was so I got some pipes for
It and it is much better, But it had some serious decel popping going on so I decided to get a Wiseco Fuel programmer & also learned to take off the AIS which cause most the popping noise from what I have read up on.
I also decided to relocate breather line that goes into the back of the Air Box
Along the Backbone of the frame along with removing the tank vent one way valves with just a straight hose down the front of the frame.
And checked for Rust & anything else that might cause fuel restrictions but tank is clean.. so I was going to start with a new Fuel pump & screen tomorrow then sensors otherwise I’m stumped!!!
I know it's hard to do but you should have taken things a lot slower. Now you're stuck with backtracking. Follow Nate's advice but don't be afraid to go to a shop to have the work done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts