Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, this forum is worth it's weight in gold! I wonder whether anyone has any bright ideas for my newest issue:2005 S40 Boulevard with just over 2,000 miles on it (bought two months ago.) I noticed that now that the weather is getting colder and wetter, my bike will cut out when I downshift. Scenario: I pull the choke, ride for about three miles or so according to the manual I found online, push chock back in and come up on a red light, school bus, what have you. When I brake and start to downshift...clutch, shift, ....engine cuts off. I thought at first that it was because my engine was still cold, but it does so after ten miles or so, when I assumed that the engine would be warm enough now. The bike will start right back up, because I will start it in whatever gear I am in, sometimes rolling at thirty-some MPH, and I simply find the magic spot between throttle and clutch, but it does not always work, and I am getting a tad worried. Do I not choke it long enough? Rider stupidity? Planned by Suzuki to make my life more interesting? Any ideas? Thanks as always.

·
Super Moderator
13,408 Posts
Do I not choke it long enough?
Yes maybe. The choke is not "all or nothing".
Decrease it gradually; might take 10 minutes or more to get it all the way off.
It will come up to temp. quicker if the first minute of that is not moving.

THEN......if it still stalls, it may be because your idle speed is a tad too low.

I don't remember any previous discussion about this bike so hope this isn't a repeat:
Do you have a stock air filter firmly in place ?
And have you run some carb cleaner through with the gas ??

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
The first two things that come to mind are that the bike is not fully warmed up, or the idle speed is set too low.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Easy Rider, I guess the answers to your questions are uhm, yes? To the first, and, "Oh shoot, I KNEW there was something I meant to do" to the second. I have a gut feeling that it is a matter of bike being cold. Idle speed should not have changed since the warmer weather, and I had no issues then, not when driving, not when starting off at a light or so. My whole experience with chokes is limited to the old cars I used to drive- Ladas mostly - and a '67 Ford F150. I pretty much used to drive till the engine was warmed up and then push the chock back in, but I guess I can learn to finesse it on the bike. Thanks for your help!

·
Super Moderator
13,408 Posts
Idle speed should not have changed since the warmer weather, and I had no issues then,
But we are dealing with an air cooled engine, right ??
They are a LOT more sensitive to the cold, generally.

And just because it worked when the weather was hot, doesn't necessarily mean that it was "right".

A really LOT of riders don't know what the proper idle speed IS and tend to set it too low.

Lastly, after a round of carb cleaner, it might help to back the idle mixture screw out a half turn or so.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts