Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beloved forum members, you have proven to be incredibly valuable to me before. I am still a noob, but put a few hundred miles on my new-to-me 2005 S40 in the past few weeks. So now I invested in a windshield..great. And I want saddlebags. I contacted Viking bags because I like the look of their slanted bags, the price appears right, reviews are ok, and they come with mounting hardware which I apparently need. So far, so good. And then I find out that I need to move the turn signals to the license plate thingi. (Or my mechanically inclined husband will have to.) Does anyone know whether this is a major undertaking? Do I need to string cables or some such? If it is a pain in the rear, I will just continue lugging all my crap in a backpack. Many, many thanks!

·
Registered
677 Posts
I would just look for different bags. The options for saddle bags are nearly limitless, you could find some that don't require any relocation of turn signals. They will likely be smaller than the Viking bags, but could save you the trouble of making modifications.

I found some really cheap bags for my m50, only cost me 50 bucks. Then I found a universal saddle bag support kit for like 20 or 30 bucks. Works great for me, but I still use a backpack when I have big items to carry around. Just strap it to the luggage rack and go.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Uhm...luggage rack? But I guess you're right. I looked at the original suzuki bags, but I do not like the shape. I will just keep looking, I guess...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the baby boulevard...there is no luggage rack. No passenger back rest. No trip meter. No tachometer. No fuel gauge. You get the picture. I consider myself lucky that I have two wheels....

·
Registered
677 Posts
Well the backrest is aftermarket. It's not from the factory, just came with the bike when I bought it though.

Look at some stuff online for bags...cycle gear...jp cycles...cruiser customizing. Those are all dot coms, I usually use cycle gear cause they have a physical store close to me. Not sure where you are, but they have lots of stores around the country..might have one close to you.

We are all lucky to be on two wheels!!

EDIT: oh yeah...motorcycle superstore is another good site to look at. Just got a new back tire from them, shipping was free and fast too.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
essentially moving the turn signals is just disconnecting 2 wires per signal. and finding a new place to bolt the original or aftermarket signals on to. and then reattaching the 2 wires.

there are several quick detach kits that you can add to rigid style bags to move them around so you may not need to relocate the signals. this generally will cramp the passenger footpeg area. but i doubt your doing much 2up on the s40.

have you tried just getting a $5 cargonet bungee and using it to secure your backpack to the rear seat?

most throwover style bags would not require signal relocation either.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all. So ok, I was not planning on carting my old man around on the back...at least not until I have MUCH more experience and feel safe doing that. I also have no plans to invest in a sissy bar...too expensive if it only serves as a luggage rack. I looked at the relocation, and it appears to be fairly straight forward, so I guess I will do that. I was thinking about the throw-over bags, but in the slanted style I like, I still apparently need to attach my turning signals to the license plate via an after market thingi. I also thought about the bungee thing...I guess five bucks is worth a try. I really want the bags more to cart my rainwear and extra clothes around. I am a teacher, and when I ride to school, I need to change into different clothes...heels and such. I also want to be able to use them when I have to swing by the grocery store because I forgot to get a can of sloppy joe sauce or whatever, and I think bags would hold that kind of stuff better than a net.Again, thanks for all your help. This forum is so useful not just to answer my questions, but throw out new solutions I never knew about. And yes, I checked out the websites before when I bought my jacket and stuff!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Just looked at some pictures of the s40 to refresh my memory....

The rear turn signals are almost exactly in the middle of the rear fender. Seems like ANY kind of throw over style bag would require the signals to be relocated. Even most ghost mount style bags would be the same story. Way to go suzuki!

On the topic of sissy bars and luggage racks...

You could buy a luggage rack without the back seat attached to it, probably a lot cheaper that way. Until then if it were me, I would use the cargo net with a good backpack or something to haul stuff around.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup, just ordered the cargo net. Once I am rich...or get paid, whichever comes first, I will invest in saddle bags and see what happens....

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I really want the bags more to cart my rainwear and extra clothes around. I am a teacher, and when I ride to school, I need to change into different clothes...heels and such. I also want to be able to use them when I have to swing by the grocery store because I forgot to get a can of sloppy joe sauce or whatever, and I think bags would hold that kind of stuff better than a net.
well saddlebags tend to work best for groceries. but i've bungee'd a bucket o chicken to the back of my bike before.

as for a more permanent seat bag. that doesnt break the bank you might look at:
https://www.tbags.com/detail.aspx?ID=111

should easily fit a rain suit, change of clothes, and your lessonplans/homework.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts