Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my son ( who is 19 but might not make it to 20 at this pace) managed to leave my bike in park (again. And again.) I just bought a new battery, and he left the bike in "park" while he was in class for several hours, drained the batty completely and could not start bike. So, we took the battery out, put it on charger, battery charged overnight and was full. Took it back the next day, installed it, tried to start bike and .....nothing. No power to gauges, no crank, nada. Battery out again, took it get tested and possibly charged (who knows, maybe my charger does not work), back to bike, install and ......nothing. No power anywhere. We tried to push-start the bike, and I know how to do that with a car, but the best I could get out of my bike was a single crank, and that was it. No way to get it started. I might add that I am old, slow and weak.So we left the bike where it is and I came home to cry in my beer and figure out what's next. And now I am thinking...fuses? Of course, it is dark outside, and I am not about to drive all the way back and fumble around in the dark, but maybe, just maybe...could that be it? We yanked on all the wires we could find and then un-yanked them, scraped the battery contacts in pure desperation, checked fuel levels, gas shuttlecock or whatever that thing is called...I even wiped the windshield to please the great Suzuki gods, all to no avail. Soooooo...help please?

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Did you check the main fuse, or just the ones in the fuse panel? There is a main 20-amp fuse that can be tripped if you accidently touch something metal when you put the battery back in. Remove the seat, and on the right side just forward of the seat mount there should be a white plastic holder, with a rubber strap holding it to the frame rail. There will be wires on one end, and a cap on the other. Remove the cap, and there is the main fuse. If I recall there may be a spare in there with it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Battery was tested at Autozone, and it came back full and good..made them check it twice. See, I will have to go BACK to check fuses because that never occurred to me. I was literally in a dress and heels and tried to help my son getting MY bike started again, and after the battery disaster, I went home and had a beer. And sitting here in my PJs on my couch, the word "fuse" flashed into my head...no power, full battery....but I can't go back...too dark to see anything where the bike is now sitting, beer(s), PJs. I will head on down tomorrow first thing and replace fuses and check spark plug, mayhaps? I guess I am just looking for hope that I am not facing a towing charge and a huge repair bill. As far as I know, my beast only has two fuses anyway, both 20amp, and I think I have at least one spare, but I will pick up some more tomorrow. Thanks a lot for your help as always. Do I need to email you some cookies as a thank you?

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
The spark plug has nothing to do with this problem, so don't waste time on that. Most likely the fuse, as they are designed to pop when there is any kind of short to protect the rather expensive rectifier from damage. Get a couple spares at the Autozone and keep them on the bike.

Appropriate that you were reading this in your PJs while drinking beer, as I was writing it in my PJs while drinking bourbon. LOL! Cookies would be great, especially emailed ones- real ones have too many calories, and I can't eat wheat anyways.

Tell your son he really needs to learn to put it in off instead of park- maybe make him push the bike home so the memory sinks in LOL! If you live anywhere near Atlanta bring it by my shop and I'll disable the park position, or hook up a ridiculously loud warning buzzer for it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
DrBob, saw your reply too late. Anyhow, bike is running fine. I can have the park disabled? That is exactly what we need...or at least my son. This is the THIRD time he has done that to me. Next time, he will push the bike home. Barefoot. All six miles. At night. In his underwear. I am in NC, so not close..at least not on a bike that can only go about 100 miles on a tank of gas. However, disabling sounds fantastic. Is that something that I need a bike mechanic for, or can Charlie my car guy do it. Or even my mechanically inclined husband who has sworn to disown our son if it ever happens again? I am okay with the disowning, by the way.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
The push home might break him of it. Learning to turn the ignition key to "off" is kind of a basic thing, so he REALLY needs to learn to do it right. I'm afraid to ask how he handles more complicated things like shifting, turn signals, and shoe laces. Maybe disowning is the answer after all. I feel your pain- my 19 year old niece is only still alive because 61st trimester abortions are illegal.

I have never actually disabled the "park" position on a bike before, so I can not post step by step directions. But the standard Suzuki ignition switch is very basic, so it would be a simple matter of taking the switch apart and removing the connection link inside the switch that powers the taillight in the park positions. Or you could snip the wire for the tail light at the ignition, and connect it instead to the circuit for the headlight, that way the taillight is still on when the bike is running but off even if the key is in park. Or swap on a simple on-off ignition switch (available at any auto parts store) in place of the on-off-park one. Or easier still, just tell junior that if he can't learn to turn the key to off then he can't ride your bike anymore.

·
Super Moderator
12,336 Posts
just tell junior that if he can't learn to turn the key to off then he can't ride your bike anymore.
Two other practical solutions: (maybe)

Before he gets possession of the keys again, MAKE him sit on the bike and practice turning it ON and OFF the correct way while reciting ON....OFF.....ON....OFF......about a hundred times. :mrgreen:

If he can't learn the adult way, maybe going back to the 6 year old repetitive method will work......but you don't have to actually say it that way. :whistle:

Just to improve the odds even more, replace the tail light bulb with an LED assembly; some come on a bulb base for easy installation.
Then even if is IS left on by accident, the battery should survive maybe 12 hours before going flat.

Good luck !!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LED sounds good, but there seems to be some question about legality, I will go and see what they have to offer at the local auto parts store. In the meantime, I haver come up with a feminine solution: I painted a big, bright red dot with nail polish over the "Park" on the ignition lock, and I told my son that his blood would run the same color if he EVER tuned the key that way. Kinda like traffic lights. Not pretty, but best in the short term.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have an s40 as well....and have accidentally put the key in park instead of off. i'm not really even sure what the position on the switch is for?

·
Super Moderator
12,336 Posts
i'm not really even sure what the position on the switch is for?
"parking lights" are a remnant of the past, both for cars and bikes.

They were intended to be left on if you HAD to park your car on the side of a narrow road or street after dark.......which was pretty much the
ONLY place to park in the beginning.

But now that's not the case and it's illegal to do that except in cases of a breakdown in most places.
It is also illegal to drive with only parking lights on when it's dark so.......they are pretty much useless.

I can't SEE the ignition switch on my bike from the seat but I must push the key IN a bit to even get it to go to the PARK position; doesn't yours have that feature too ??

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
"parking lights" are a remnant of the past, both for cars and bikes.

They were intended to be left on if you HAD to park your car on the side of a narrow road or street after dark.......which was pretty much the
ONLY place to park in the beginning.

But now that's not the case and it's illegal to do that except in cases of a breakdown in most places.
It is also illegal to drive with only parking lights on when it's dark so.......they are pretty much useless.

I can't SEE the ignition switch on my bike from the seat but I must push the key IN a bit to even get it to go to the PARK position; doesn't yours have that feature too ??
the ability to turn the electrical system on with no chance of the vehicle running is sometimes usefull. i use fairly often in my truck to run the ac, charge my laptop, use the air compressor. i suppose i could hard wire some of that directly to the battery.

the only time i've ever used it on my bike is when making adjustments to lighting.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, on the S40, it is a fairly easy mistake to make I guess. The positions are park, on , off on the bottom. No pushing or wiggling required to accidentally move the key the wrong way. But I must say that my blood-red dot of nail Polish is great. I no longer need to look closely to make sure that I am "off" and my son has not left it in park for close to a whole week now!

·
Super Moderator
12,336 Posts
the ability to turn the electrical system on with no chance of the vehicle running is sometimes usefull.

the only time i've ever used it on my bike is when making adjustments to lighting.
Different animals.

The things you listed for your truck are accomplished using the Accessory position of the ignition switch.
On the bike, that is accomplished using the ON position.....or maybe ACC if you ride a road yacht.

The PARK position activates ONLY the rear tail light and is useful for virtually nothing, except maybe testing the tail light.
On the truck, parking lights are a function of the headlight switch.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sure. He needs a job first, and in order to get to work and college, he needs a ride, so.....he is using mommy's bike. Sigh.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts