Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, maybe somebody can help me out with this. I bought my wife a 2005 S50 with 4900 miles on it in excellent condition. I test rode it only a short distance and everything seemed fine to me except that its too small for me which led to (I thought) instability at slower speeds, say, under 30. Well, she kept on complaining that she just doesn't feel comfortable on it that its very unstable. I figured its just her inexperience but guess what...I can't keep the thing straight either! Slow going like I said, is tough to keep it in a straight line...its all over, back and forth. Tires are good, pressure is good, shocks are good, wheels are good (bearing wise)...so whats up? Triple tree bearings or what else can be checked? What could cause such ill handling? I would appreciate any help. Many thanks, George

·
Super Moderator
12,157 Posts
Triple tree bearings or what else can be checked? What could cause such ill handling? I would appreciate any help. Many thanks, George
My guess: Either the back wheel is out of alignment, meaning it isn't pointing true forward or it's badly bent (out of true).......or one of the tires isn't as good as you think it is.

If the tires are more than 4 years old, I'd certainly consider new ones.......and having a shop do them so that if there IS another problem it would be more likely to be discovered.

That certainly is NOT a common complaint with that bike.
Maybe you should find a Zuki shop with an "old" mechanic to take it for a test ride.

Another thought: If you live in an area where they like DEEP rain grooves in concrete pavement (like southern Califorinia) AND your present tires have one or two grooves that go all the way around the center of the tread........start shopping for a different set of tires without that center groove.

·
Leg Humps The Snap On Tool Man
1,477 Posts
You may have a broken belt in the tires. Or something is out of alignment. Check them both all the way around for abnormal wear. You might even try lifting it and spinning the tires to check for a warp. Following that lift the front and see how easily the front end flops to one side or the other. It shouldn't simply flop over it should have a little resistance. When doing this feel for any "catches" or hesitation in the movement as these indicate warn out or loose head bearings. (at the stem and triple trees)
NMc

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you to all for your responses. My stepson rode it yesterday, (he is 75 lbs. lighter than myself), and it felt like an issue with the driveshaft somehow...he got the same sensation you get from a loose chain on a bike where there is that little "gap or click" between being on the power and being off it and when he rolled back into it, it would pull slightly to the right which of course would force him to counter to the left thus creating the instability. I'm riding it again tomorrow to see if I can relate to what he said and then I'm taking it to the dealer to let him have it. I'll post any developments.

·
Super Moderator
12,157 Posts
it would pull slightly to the right which of course would force him to counter to the left thus creating the instability.
Is this your first/only shaft drive bike ??

They DO have some play in the drive trane and do have a little different feel under hard acceleration or hard engine braking.

It might be perfectly normal.
If so, you should not be reacting so much to the slightly different feeling.
It might just be something you need to get used to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts