Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a silly question about saddlebags. I've noticed that some of them are hooked together and some aren't. I saw some saddleman brand bags I liked and it looks like they zip together. So how do you mount them? You can't really just throw them over the seat if you have a passenger can you? I assume you still need the metal thing on the sides to keep them out of the rear wheel. These saddleman bags were like $150 bucks vs the suzuki oem ones that mounted to the side and were like 300-500 bucks. Help out an ignorant newbie here!

·
Registered
1 Posts
i purchased an 06 c50 a few weeks ago and am going to get the Saddlemen Cruis'n Slant Bags - Jumbo ($150), along with EasyBrackets. bags can be modified for the brackets. brackets are about $135 from cruisercustomizing.com: Easy Brackets are an innovative two (2) point docking system that allows the quick and easy installation and removal of saddlebags. Easy Brackets use two (2) existing bolts holes in the fender rail of the motorcycle. By replacing the existing bolts with the docking posts and longer bolts provided in each kit, the Easy Brackets can then be instantly installed and locked into place.
Because each Easy Bracket is for your motorcycle, you will receive all of the correct hardware with your order. The docking posts and bolts are especially designed to work perfectly with your motorcycle, eliminating the hassles of adding spacing washers to either line up the docking posts or to achieve a good, tight fit.

·
I took the All Bran Challenge
7,753 Posts
:welcomes:
Mike

Just a word of advice, if you remove both bolts on one side you will have a problem lining back up. Remove one, start the replacement, then remove the 2nd one.

·
Registered
168 Posts
i learned the hard way about removing both bolts. spent almost an hour getting them back in. very frustrating!!
also, you can usually find the bags or the bag supports on ebay fairly resonable. later, bud

·
Registered
970 Posts
Mike,
When you say that the bags can be "modified" to fit the bracket, could you be a little more specific? Does that mean drilling, cutting or otherwise? Do you notice any problem with your modifications to the bags?

I'm thinking about a similar purchase..
Thanks!
:bluethum:

·
Registered
1 Posts
i got a 05 m50 and i put a set of them saddleman slant bags on there and man they look great to. Iused the suzuki bag supports .a word of advise take one bolt out at a time.

·
Registered
970 Posts
spanman said:
can you still mount an OEM sissybar if you do the easy brackets? thanks
When I asked the people at Easy Brackets that, they told me to use the ones meant for the backrest (part #VOL-R1BR). He said that they are for the Volusia/C50, but should work on the M50 (they do take the same part number for the backrest mounts).

I will be able to tell you more when I get mine. I order the above part number and will find out what happens. :whistle:

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
mike2bike said:
i purchased an 06 c50 a few weeks ago and am going to get the Saddlemen Cruis'n Slant Bags - Jumbo ($150), along with EasyBrackets. bags can be modified for the brackets. brackets are about $135 from cruisercustomizing.com: Easy Brackets are an innovative two (2) point docking system that allows the quick and easy installation and removal of saddlebags. Easy Brackets use two (2) existing bolts holes in the fender rail of the motorcycle. By replacing the existing bolts with the docking posts and longer bolts provided in each kit, the Easy Brackets can then be instantly installed and locked into place.
Because each Easy Bracket is for your motorcycle, you will receive all of the correct hardware with your order. The docking posts and bolts are especially designed to work perfectly with your motorcycle, eliminating the hassles of adding spacing washers to either line up the docking posts or to achieve a good, tight fit.
Do a search on EBAY, I got Easy Brackets for $129.95, and free shipping

·
Registered
140 Posts
"do the saddlebags that go under the seat ruin the paint on the fender??"

I have bags that go under the seat and i wouldn't say that it ruined the paint. The fenders on my VZ800 are plastic though. This might not always be true, I just thought i'd share my personal experience.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
2kMarauder said:
"do the saddlebags that go under the seat ruin the paint on the fender??"

I have bags that go under the seat and i wouldn't say that it ruined the paint. The fenders on my VZ800 are plastic though. This might not always be true, I just thought i'd share my personal experience.
I guess it all depends on what your definition of runed is. I was just giving him the short answer. I have seen paint get dulled from the leather, and scratched when dirt, and dust get's between the fender, and the leather. I guess if you never take your piassenger seat off, it wouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
859 Posts
this looks like some good info:
http://www.volusiariders.com/viewtopic.php?t=14466

Looks to me like the bags he used were saddleman Jumbo's. This will solve issue of the strap over the fender / paint .... and looks like it would be real solid mounting. I may try this on mike .. I'll probably not take all the time he did ... hell on mine ... I may remove the bolts holding the bag support thingy on ... put the allthread in ... put the bag support thingy over that ... drill two holes in the bad ... and use big-assed washers / bolts to hold the bag onto the allthread. Seems like a wining plan to me. :bluethum:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Rickster said:
Do a search on EBAY, I got Easy Brackets for $129.95, and free shipping
So I'm looking at getting saddlebags and was considering the Easy Brackets. My question is how do the saddlebags attach to the Easy Brackets? Looks like you have have to put holes in the back of them to mount to the brackets. Is this the case? Pardon my ignorance as I haven't even physically looked at any saddlebags yet.

Anybody have any opinions on Willie and Max saddlebags?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts