Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone here wear one?

I've been seriously thinking about getting one, now that my afternoon commute occurs at that time when headlights are not quite effective and it's just dark enough to make it harder for me to be noticed, even more so than usual.

I guess I'm still a bit spooked about my fender bender a month ago. I was actually apprehensive to ride home yesterday! That never happened before.

I should add that my regular riding gear (black) has plenty of 3M reflective strips and piping all around. I'm just considering that extra neon yellow WOW effect.

Thanks,

Andy

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Our military members have some great links and recomendations for safety vests.

One of them should post up soon.

Chic !! were are you ?

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
I only see them occasionally, but Aerostich suits are available in hi-vis colors. I say if you're not too proud, go for it.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Good grief! My eyes, my eyes! I'm blind I tell Ya!

·
Mr. Threadjack
3,189 Posts
That's .... disturbing.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Seriously... that was the most disturbing thing Ive ever seen... ugh.. wow..

anywho.. I agree that being more visible is a good idea but where do you draw the line?
Loud pipes to be heard..
light bars for more lighting
neon reflective strips
bright colored clothing

after a while you will be a bright glowing ball of light coming down the road..lol

Personally I feel that having a bit of these things will help but honestly becoming more of a defensive rider will go further in helping you to avoid accidents.

Have you ever wondered why cop cars have the bright spot light they shine in your rear view and why their blue lights flash like they do??
Its to disorient the driver being pulled over. In prisons now guards use shields that have a strobe light attached to them to disorientate the prisoner upon entering the cell.

What I am saying is this.. if you go down the road all bright and shiny and reflective you could in affect become some target fixation of other drivers.

I think there is an over kill in things you can do to the bike when in reality it just comes down to becoming a more defensive rider IMO..

·
Right Clicker
5,637 Posts
No vest, but this is what I wear.

My Motorcycle Gear { September 23, 2007}

DOT approved Fulmer Modus / flip-face modular helmet.

Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0 Jacket {color yellow/black/white,} with
Free-air, poly/mesh shell
Removable waterproof liner
C.E. rated protectors in shoulders and elbows
Removable spine pad with pocket for optional C.E. spine protector
Elastic sleeve adjusters
Sure Fit adjustable waistband
Zippers for optional Sahara vest
8in zipper for pant attachment
Reflective stripe
Pocket for audio device with port for wire
Pocket for face shield storage

Was wearing a Black Frank Thomas Jacket

Gloves /leather

FirstGear HT OVERPANTS 2.0 {over blue jeans}
100% waterproof 330 denier Hypertex™
Removable, zip-out, insulated liner
Waterproof, breathable membrane
Removable Temperfoam knee and hip armor
10” (ZIPS™) jacket attachment system includes
Heavy-duty, full-length, 2-way, leg zippers
for easy on and off matching, sew-in zipper for your pants
Heat-resistant material from knee to ankle
Spandex waist and adjustable side tabs

Boots {Safety-toe slip on or lace-up work boots}

·
Still crazy after all these years
14,185 Posts
I've added some reflective tape to my helmet, so that part is visible. My jacket has some reflective panels, but could be brighter.

And as for that picture ... one word: OUCH!

·
Registered
480 Posts
All the bases I was stationed at require that riders wear a vest no matter what other gear they have. They usually have their own safety class too. So having driven around a lot of these guys in all times of day and conditions I can say that the vest does make you more visible but not a "distraction".

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have a 7 led battery operated bicycle light that I attach to my sissy bar with industrial velcro. This time of year the start of my morning commute and my entire evening commute is in the dark so I set the light to a rapid blink. May look goofy but it gets me noticed.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just ride in the nude. That will draw attention to you. :mrgreen:
Naw, can't do that. That would be too much of a distraction for other drivers as, " objects in mirror are closer than they appear." :shock:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Consider the First Gear Hi Vis yellow armored jacket. It might be even more hig impact than a mere vest. A WHOLE lot cheaper and a better value than the ridiculously over priced "aerostitch" jacket, IMHO

I don't have a link, but I got a First Gear in yellow for about $80 from the dealer where I got the M50 last summer.

Yeah, maybe you won't look "cool" but I think it's even better at 'taking back a piece of the road' than some vests I've seen because it presents a larger frontal area of yellow to oncoming cagers. It gets noticed I can tell you, and so what that's maybe not always in a positive way ;)

Oh yeah, part of me wants the cool, dark leather jacket to ride around in but a smarter part of me doesn't want to get dead anytime soon, so I'm sticking with the geek jacket for now!

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
While not a vest as mentioned in the OP, the following jacket is what I wore last summer when it wasn't too hot. It is highly visible and with its patches of black doesn't have the construction site look. It's not a motorcycle jacket so protective gear needs to be worn underneath. That's the advantage that vest has in that it can add visibility to the protection you are already wearing. I wish there were more to choose from.

Next year after loosing some weight I'll try again to get a highly visible motorcycle jacket and/or vest, but it will be hard to give up the high visibility I have now.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts