Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yeah, maybe you won't look "cool" but I think it's even better at 'taking back a piece of the road' than some vests I've seen because it presents a larger frontal area of yellow to oncoming cagers. It gets noticed I can tell you, and so what that's maybe not always in a positive way ;)

Oh yeah, part of me wants the cool, dark leather jacket to ride around in but a smarter part of me doesn't want to get dead anytime soon, so I'm sticking with the geek jacket for now!
The "looking cool" factor thankfully only affected me for the first few months I owned the bike. Now, for me it's about the ride, dressing for the crash, and doing everything I can to get to my destination safely. Does that make sense? :huh:

Here's the vest I went with and where I ordered it:

Cyclevests.com Safety Vests

What sold me was the 6 light strips that you can set as constant on or flash mode.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Update:

I’ve been using the vest for two weeks during my commute home and on rainy or foggy days. From the first day, I noticed an immediate change in behavior from most vehicles around me. They do not travel as close behind as before. Perhaps the back area of the vest provides a better reference for judging the distance between or visibility alone got their attention. Either way I am a bit more relieved.

However, I don’t want anyone to think that becoming more visible is reason to not continue to be defensive. Busa-Boy33 had a good point: “Personally I feel that having a bit of these things (referring to extra lighting, reflective gear) will help but honestly becoming more of a defensive rider will go further in helping you to avoid accidents.”

And this, taken from another site really helped Busa’s point sink in:

“There is no magic bullet that will keep someone from running a biker over. Many theorize that its often over-aggressive drivers who merely use the excuse of visibility once they hit a bike.”

In short, I feel better wearing the vest and believe that it increases my probability of getting home safe, but I’m not relying on it.

Take care,

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Icon has come out with another vest shown below. It's made of 1.4mm leather and has a back protector, but no reflective tape. Cost is about $215.

It's another option to consider.

As I mentioned in a previous post I wore a bring orange jacket much of last year. There were many times when I was out riding and a car came up a stop at an intersection or driveway and stopped, rolled a few foot or two, then stopped again. I'm assuming that they didn't see me at first or at least it didn't register right away. I have no way of knowing how much of this was due to my high visibility but my experiences of being cut off or having cars pull out in front of me was considerably less than I was lead to believe it would be.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yikes, $215! Mine cost $50 and that's only because it has 6 Glo-lite strips I use for added visibility in rain or fog.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Yeah, that's what I thought too. Then I looked at other leather vests and found out that it's the going price. I like the fact it has a back protector.

I'm not sure what I will be doing next season. Probably more likely to get the "Icon Mil Spec Vest" plus additional protective gear.

BTW, a little off topic, but I do like the idea of the Icon "Field Armor Vest" as possible basic protection under whatever someone would be wearing. Curious if anybody has experience or opinions.

In any event I will be wearing more gear next season, including knee and elbow protection, and hopefully back protection.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Safety Vest

I wear a high vis light weight vest every time on the bike. I have had people roll down windows at lights and ask me about it. I could care less what others think what I want to be is seen by other drivers. I believe it has been very effective. I have never understood this complaint about visibility and yet the need to dress in black even at night. My experience has good with this and would urge others to consider but I would hate to see it mandated like in Europe (I believe in Choice and taking personal responsibility)

·
Registered
151 Posts
When I rode at night, I'd wear an ordinary safety vest with orange netting and reflective yellow, the kind that are used by highway workers. It worked great for me, and it made other drivers at night more aware that a motorcycle was in front of them, especially at a distance.

I liked the safety vest because I could fold it and stash it in my saddle bag when it wasn't needed.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Most of my jackets come with reflective tapes too, but not too much.
I don't want to be all shiney at night! So a little tape will do, but that's just me.

But I do care a lot about protection. Shoulders, elbows, and back protectors are a must as far as I am concerned (knees too but this is about my jacket).

I've noticed that when I ride with a full leather suit, I feel VERY protected but then I get jerks who want to challenge speed with me.....which I really detest. So unless it's really hot, I often cover myself up with rain gear, whether it's raining or not.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Most of my jackets come with reflective tapes too, but not too much.
I don't want to be all shiney at night! So a little tape will do, but that's just me.
Since most of my night time riding is during rush hour, I do want to be shiney, obnoxiously shiney. The brighter the better. I feel I got off REALLY EASY with my fender bender 2 months ago.

But I do care a lot about protection. Shoulders, elbows, and back protectors are a must as far as I am concerned (knees too but this is about my jacket).

I also care a lot about protection, but I just took the cheap route and wear the vest over my armoured jacket & pants set, instead of buying a new jacket with the Hi-Vis included.

I've noticed that when I ride with a full leather suit, I feel VERY protected but then I get jerks who want to challenge speed with me.....which I really detest. So unless it's really hot, I often cover myself up with rain gear, whether it's raining or not

I am definetely more protected in my winter gear than my summer mesh and luckily, don't have the issue with speed challenges being on a cruiser.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Aha.
Now I see.

I don't have a vest!!! :eek:oops:

I was talking about my jacket so the reflective tapes and protectors are with the jacket itself, not the vest.

Hm....now that I think about it, I don't think I've seen "vests".
The only one I've actually seen is a guy who had a fishing vest just because he wanted the convenience of all the pockets it had. And he was wearing it over his jacket with full protection.

But in all honesty, those pockets did look handy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Our tactical individuals have some extraordinary connections and suggestions for Safety Vest.
Having cruised all over a ton of these folks in all seasons of day and conditions I can...

·
Super Moderator
13,232 Posts
SIGH.
Could you FINISH the comment that you started ?
Clicking on the "like" button accomplishes nothing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
SIGH.
Could you FINISH the comment that you started ?
Clicking on the "like" button accomplishes nothing.
Having cruised all over a ton of these folks in all seasons of day and conditions I can...
I was meant that I can or I should wear the safety equipment's and security tools and specially Safety Vest while dangerous stunts or fast riding because I saw a lot of deaths who were not assure that they were completely safe and have all emergency equipment's....
I apologize for your previous unanswered question... :)

21 - 36 of 36 Posts