Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. For earlier want to apologize for my English . I live in Russia . Not so long ago, in the body of the TV series " Prison Break" I saw the Russian Ural motorcycle . It was said as a very valuable and exclusive . This bike when it was copied from the BMW R71 and already heavily modified . BMW no longer produces this heavy bike , but in Russia it is still produced and is still evolving. Not so long ago there was a model with disc brakes on all three wheels ( ransche had drum brakes ) . Here I would like to discuss the demand for this bike in the U.S. and other countries. Problems legislation .
What do you think : Is there a demand for this model?
Is it difficult to get a bike in the U.S.?
<span style="color: rgb(37, 37, 37); font-family: arial, verdana, helvetica; font-size: 12px; background-color: rgb(216, 216, 216);">
[/video]

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Not hard to get at all, there are Ural dealers here already.
I live in a rural area and a neighbor just up the road from me has a Ural with a sidecar.
They are not really expensive here either nor exclusive, just one of many imports from around the globe sold in the US market.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
well $15000 for an 800 cc bike is kinda pricey. but there arent too many 2WD motorcycles with sidecars to pick from.

i just dont think the demand for bikes with sidecars is all that high.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
well $15000 for an 800 cc bike is kinda pricey. but there arent too many 2WD motorcycles with sidecars to pick from.

i just dont think the demand for bikes with sidecars is all that high.
After 100 years of building sidecar bikes Harley quit building them.
Trikes were selling better I guess.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Urals are already imported to the USA, and Canada, and have been since 1993. "Prison Break" is just a TV show, and they made up the part about Ural motorcycles being exclusive and expensive. Ural has 74 dealerships in the USA, and more Urals are sold in the USA than the rest of the world combined. Ural has said that without US sales they would go bankrupt.

But the number is very small, only about 650 motorcycles a year in the US and another 450 or so for the rest of the world. Honda, by comparison, sold over 14,000,000 motorcycles last year. All Ural dealerships carry them as just a sideline, and something else as their main product. My local dealership, for example, has about 120 BMW bikes on the showroom, 30 used bikes of various makes, and one Ural. When it sells, he gets another one, and he sells about 1 a month.

Ural bikes are not expensive, but they do not sell well because of three reasons. Firstly, because of the sidecar they handle very differently than a regular motorcycles. Second, their top speed is not high enough to let them operate on the US interstates. Third, they have a terrible reputation for reliability. But they still sell a small number of them each year, to Americans who want something fun and different and do not mind working to keep it running.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts