Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I an new2 to this forum.I own a 250 virago,but i am thinking of getting a 650 savage and I am wondering how well this bike does.I am 5!6!! tall.and 150 pounds.I wonder if this bike is big enough to take on freeway,etc.Is it coumfortable for 4 or 5 hour rides. or would a volusia be the better choice???Any info would be apreciated thanks Paul in Kentucky

· Registered
10,685 Posts
I've rode the 650 when I took my MSF course (an equivalent to the MSF actually).

The Savage has about twice the power of the virago 250 and about twice the torque as well. Its definitely has enough power for highway. I'm 5'8, 142 lbs.

I've rode it for short periodes but I'm pretty sure its comfortable for longer trips. As for the Volusia, I'll let our "best hope for the loaf of bread prize" (a.k.a. Uncle Bob) answer this.

· Site Admin & Squeegee Boy
4,459 Posts
Well I do lean towards the Volusia but they are both very good bikes. The Vol is easier to find extra goodies for and has shaft drive which reduces the time spent on chain maintenance.

Don't think you'd go wrong with either of them. If you're going to be riding two up then I would steer towards the Vol.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
suzuki 600

Thanks for the replies about the savage I like the clean look of the bike and it would probably be all i would need since my wife wont ride i will be on it alone and at 150#it should do fine.Paul sr.

· Registered
44 Posts
LS650 Savage!

Hi ... I'm 5'-4", 130 lbs and moved up from an 85 Rebel 250 to an 03 LS650 Savage last Summer ... find the Bike to be a perfect fit for me. It's not too heavy, is well balanced and nimble and the torque of the big single is super ... she can scamper up hills like a goat ... a big plus, as there are plenty of steep hills here in eastern Newfoundland!
I love my Savage ... the unique-ness of the single cylinder and the cool chopper-esque styling makes her a hit at local Bike-nite ... even with the hard-core Harley crowd!

4,459 Posts
Well let's keep up making up our own words that'll make this a unique site.

What's the weather like in Newfoundland this time of year ? Is your bike stored for the winter or what ?.

· Registered
44 Posts
Newfoundland weather et al ...

Hi Uncle Bob!

Hope you had a great Holiday Season! Well, as far as Nfld. weather goes ... I think mainland Canadians generally think that the weather is pretty harsh down here year round ... the truth is actually quite different! While the climate can be "challenging" and/or "character building", this year has been awesome! After a fairly brutal winter last year, it shut-off suddenly in late March '03 ... by late April, warm temps and sunshine were the norm ... and it pretty much stayed this way well into November! An ideal (and long) season of motorcycling the scenic biways of Newfoundland!
In fact the week between Christmas and New Years was very spring-like, temps were 14 deg C on X-Mas Day, sunny and wind-less ... m/c's were seen out and about ... a 1st I'd say! But, these past few days have been more winter-like with snow and colder temps ...
Yeah, unfortunately my Savage is in Winter storage until April ... which won't come fast enough. In fact, my battery is receiving it's monthly charge as I type this.

· Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I'm new

I just took the motorcycle course this summer (& by some miracle, I passed!). I bought an old '82 Honda 500 custom, but found it to sit me too high off the ground. I saw a 2004 Savage at a Bike expo in CT & fell in love with it. The question I have is, can you get highway (aka "crash" bars) for it? I don't see any on the Suzuki website. Maybe aftermarket?

· Registered
44 Posts
Savage Accessories

Hi ... there seems to be more and more stuff becoming available for the Savage all the time. Suzuki does offer a set of engine guards, but you'll have to go aftermarket for hi-way bars.
www.metric-cruisers.com offers lots of nice accessories for the Savage (check out the fab chrome disc rear pulley cover!)
As well, J.C. Whitney and Dennis Kirk has aftermarket goodies to fit the Savage.

· Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for your help. I looked at the comparable Honda, Yamaha & Kawasaki bikes, & I'm still leaning toward the savage. It's a nice small bike with a big bike look. I need a small bike. Just passed the class with zero riding experience. I've dropped my beater Honda several times taking corners (only riding in self-storage parking lot). Went out on the road once with my boyfriend (harley guy) really early on a Sunday morning. I did okay, but those starts from a dead stop still scare the heck out of me. I just need practice, practice, practice & I think a smaller, lower, lighter bike is just the ticket. Plus, it comes in purple, my fav color! (yea, I'm a chick). I did find the engine guards on the Suzuki website & they're not that expensive. I guess I'll be all right. Ride on guys & gals!!

4,459 Posts
To take off from a stop just keep your eyes on the horizon.

Make sure your boyfriend rides in back of you, don't want you slipping in the oil his hog drips onto the road. :lol:

· Registered
77 Posts
Savage

@ Uncle BOB
@ teddybear

This is the best advice you can get. NEVER EVER ride BEHIND a HD.

My brother rides one and i was behind him cruising at around 80KmH and his HD lost a bolt from the exhaust and hit me on the helmet.

So be carefull, don't say i did not warn you
:twisted:

· Registered
40 Posts
Yes more aftermarket parts are becoming available for the savage. Think that is due in part to its popularity in Europe us Americans thank you. LOL my wife thanks you also. She will have one sweet ride when i get all the things put on it and she gets the paint job she wants on the bike.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.