Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2002 Savage 650; mint. The bike fits me physically (5'7'', 150)better than any I've owned, including my old Honda CB350. I've heard that the Savage is one of the most maintenance-free bikes on the road today, but I've also heard rumblings about an oil leak problem. Anyone have any particulars on problems associated with this bike?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Computer malfunction. Everything shut down before the first was accepted, so it was re-sent when I re-booted. Try some decaf.

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
im sure oldgeezer was just posting the link to show that there was information available immediately rather than waiting for more replies here.

he didnt say something like "use the search feature" or "use google" like some rude people do.

·
Registered
255 Posts
tlwisner said:
If everybody's answer is "go somewhere else and talk about Suzuki motorcycles" then why the hell is this board here? :roll:
IMHO different boards are good for different things and I frequent several on a regular basis. This board is terrific for general information about riding (gear, safety, "things I learned today" and so on). I also enjoy the broad spectrum of people, bikes and opinions on this forum. :)

On the other hand, the Savage specific boards go into a ton of detail related to the Savage that might bore the rest of you stiff. On SuzukiSavage, for instance, there is a technical section that outlines a bunch of stuff useful only for Savage owners: how to change the oil, specs list etc...

Personally I don't see any conflict in visiting multiple forums and sharing links across forums. Besides a lot of what this poster is asking about has already been addressed in the other forum. It doesn't make sense to me to summarize info that has already been published. Just my two cents!

·
Registered
101 Posts
tlwisner said:
If everybody's answer is "go somewhere else and talk about Suzuki motorcycles" then why the hell is this board here? :roll:
Sometimes the best reply is to point someone to where the information is readily available. I don't know why someone would take offense at that.

Laters, George

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm still a newbie and my riding experience is extremely limited. But I've done a lot of reading in the past year and I have seen it mentioned that the Savage is possibly prone to oil leaks.

They seem to be the old VW Beetle of the motorcycle world: simple, air-cooled engines that run forever inexpensively. It's a nice concept. My first car was a 1966 VW Beetle that leaked oil. I had to add a quart every 1,000 miles. But it ran, and it ran, and it ran .....

·
Registered
251 Posts
High Plains Thumper: That's a pic of a 1971 Honda CB100? That was the first bike I ever rode (as a passenger on my uncle's bike). He had one exactly like that, except it was blue/green (teal?).

I never thought I'd see one again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have no personal experience, but as I was searching for a Savage, the information I got was pre-2000 models had a tendency to leak oil.

I have a 2002 and 2003 with not problems so far.

·
Registered
101 Posts
TexasJay said:
High Plains Thumper: That's a pic of a 1971 Honda CB100? That was the first bike I ever rode (as a passenger on my uncle's bike). He had one exactly like that, except it was blue/green (teal?).

I never thought I'd see one again.
Yes it is, TJ. I bought it in 1979 while in college from a salvage dealer for $300 in Honolulu, then I wore out 3 sets of tires on it. Two years ago with the help of my son, we disassembled it and repainted it from ground up. Back in '79 I had the seat redone in brown for $70. It is now waiting for installation of a 150 CC big bore kit I bought on E-Bay last summer. I completely wore out the original motor, it now has a 1970 SL125 motor I overhauled some time back.

I would consider it an ultimate beginner bike because for street traffic, it will keep up with traffic nicely and is light enough that it is real easy and forgiving, but a blast to ride because of its torquey thumper motor. I even beat a VW rabbit who wanted to race me out of hole to 40 mph with it back in 1980.

Laters, George :)

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
High Plains Thumper said:
Sometimes the best reply is to point someone to where the information is readily available. I don't know why someone would take offense at that.

Laters, George
If you link to an answer to a question, that's fairly nice. If you just say "Go look at "Forum X" where somebody has to go dig through a bunch of stuff on an unfamiliar board - that's a bit dismissive.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Several reasons I referenced the Savage forum in my answer. If the fellow is interested in a Savage, by looking at the specifically Savage website he would probably get not only the answer to his oil leak question but a ton of other good information. Perhaps he wasn't aware that the Savage forum was available. In addition, I remember this question addressed specifically in the forum. Maybe I should have given him that particular link, but I didn't. So, if I offended anyone, sorry.

·
Registered
101 Posts
trappercase said:
Isn't that dismissive? Considering that the Savage IS prone to oil leaks? Just an observation.
The right front head plug leak is a well documented problem with the older Savages. Around 2003, Suzuki came up with a redesigned plug that seems to rectify the problem. The roughly 11/16" diameter plug covers an access hole through the cooling tunnel to the right front head stud nut.

Problem is after the bike has gained some age, the older style rubber covered metal plug that resembles a thimble looses its rubber's resilience, shrinks and cracks the RTV seal. Since the head top is bathed in oil for the overhead cam, oil makes its way past the plug into the cooling tunnel, which by the force of airflow during riding shows up as an oil spray on the battery cover, muffler shield and starter area. The leak is more like a seep; oil loss isn't great but it is annoying.

If you do your own wrenching, the fix is relatively simple, redesigned plug costs $7.50, it requires removing the head cover, removing the existing, installing the new with proper RTV sealant on it and the head cover (I used Permatex gray, think it was Ultra Gray), reinstalling the head cover and adjusting valve rocker clearances. While at it, it wouldn't also hurt to retorque the head studs.

I can't say specifically what a shop would charge, but it probably would be around 2 may be 3 hours labor. If shop rate is $65 per hour, you can figure the costs.

- Laters, George

·
Registered
637 Posts
Hey Mr. High Plains Thumper, my wife and I plan on spending the night in your fair city next summer. It's our first stop on a 10 day ride up through northern NM, Colorado, Utah and Arizona. We are ending up in Grants, NM to hang out at the Fire & Ice Rally for a day or so. I grew up 100 miles south of you and we currently live in Midland. My wife rides an Intruder and I ride a softail.

By the way, if you know of anyone up in your area looking for a Savage, we have an 03 with 2000 miles for sale.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey, everybody,
I wasn't offended by oldgeezer's suggestion to try another source. I was looking for any info I could get. Thanks for the input. I look at both forums, since I recently traded in my 1982 Suzuki GS550 for a 2002 Savage.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts