Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my scooter chokes (or stalls? 馃) when I go up long hills. It happens randomly and sometimes it starts happening less than a mile apart. I let it sit for a few seconds and start it again without issues, but will choke again later. Could this be related to the choke level, since it happens only on uphills? There's another issuer going downhill, but I don't know how to describe it, it's like it spurts (I believe that's the word) when doing about 90% of throttle pull out more. Like it was constantly turning off and restarting (since its going fast enough to not turn off).

Super Moderator
What kind of "scooter" is this ?

Could be fuel starvation due to a plugged fuel tank vent......usually located in the tank cap.
Could also be a spark problem, like arcing across an old plug wire or boot.
Both those situations will be worse under load and/or with a wide throttle.

I think I would try some fuel system cleaner in the gas first, like Berrymans B12 Chemtool.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, it's a 2011 Yamaha Jog, 101cc. So quite old now. I have tried loosening the tank vent and that didn't help. I will try the fuel cleaner and see if it helps 馃憣馃徑 and check the spark also.
Just now, I climbed 10 miles with no problem and after crossing a small, level bridge it happened, so I would probably discard the float adjustment as a cause, then it took some time to get going and in less than half a mile of climbing, boom, down again.
Thanks for your advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts