Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a few times this summer I have needed to use my GPS on the cellphone. It becomes battery intensive with the turn by turn navigation.

I didn't want to hardware a 12v supply to my M50 and in my case, devices that I own are typically powered via USB. So I put together a solar powered USB charger. This gives me the ability to charge while riding but also to just throw it in the bags whenever I don't want to use it.

I went to Radio Shack and bought a solar cell (14.99). I had a old USB port from a computer so I yanked that out. Cut off the excess wires (white & green). Spliced red/red black/black. Soldered everything up. Put some heatshrink in the wiring to protect it and placed the housing back together.

I tested it out on the volt meter first and then I plugged in my Blackberry. It entered charging mode in a few seconds and I was done.

Anyways, I thought I'd share as it is a cheap solution and requires pretty much nothing. I'll be placing some magnetic tape on the backside so that when I use it I can just sit it on the tank. I also plan on making a quick disconnect for the unit and making the USB port a permanent part of either my speedo or the ABS tank cover.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its rated at 6-volts at 50mAh. I am seeing around 3ish in normal lighting conditions. If I go into the direct sun I probably would get the full 6.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Thanks for the info. I wish we (humans) could find a way to utilize solar energy more than we do now. It's truly one of our inexhaustible resources.
Not really. our sun only has about 6 billion years left!!:lol4:

·
Registered
60 Posts
That is pretty cool man! Will the blackberry get F'ed up if it gets near the magnets though? Will a lower charging voltage screw anything up?

Anyway I'm all for using the sun....I wish it would show itself a whole lot more around here. It's been raining for 3 days with 3 more to go here

·
Registered
185 Posts
Great job.

I was thinking of doing the same thing, but found a cheap solution on eBay that included a rechargable battery.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
nice....great thinking :bluethum:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts