Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have a 1998 C90/VL 1500 Intruder/Boulevard and it has started smoking around the connection between the upper exhaust pipe and the manifold (for lack of a better word).

Has anyone experienced this? And what was done to correct the issue?

Thank you and have a great day.

981500MD

·
Super Moderator
12,541 Posts
You need a new exhaust header gasket.
That is assuming that it is not suddenly using more oil and also smoking out the talipipe.

I would suggest letting a shop do it......because breaking off one of the mounting bolts in the head can be VERY expensive and is a fairly easy mistake to make.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I've considered that. The pipe bolts are relatively easy to access and I appreciate your words of caution on using care if I choose to do it myself.

I have tried tightening the bolts, so they turn fairly easy. But I will seriously consider having a shop do it.

·
Super Moderator
12,541 Posts
I have tried tightening the bolts, so they turn fairly easy.
Well you likely are past the critical point already then.
The problem occurs when they are frozen in place and badly rusted.
With a little care, you should be OK.
Just don't over-tighten them when going back on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you know what the torque spec is for the exhaust on this bike? My research comes up with I think 16.5#

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Cant help with the setting but if a new gasket is installed finger tight then an 1/8 to 1/4 turn would be all I would do. Also they should be retigtened a short while later once the gasket beds in...imo

·
Super Moderator
12,541 Posts
Cant help with the setting but if a new gasket is installed finger tight then an 1/8 to 1/4 turn would be all I would do. Also they should be retigtened a short while later once the gasket beds in...imo
+1
And it is a good idea to run the "nut" up and down the threads a few times......past the point it normally sits......before putting it back together. Sometimes the threads are slightly damaged and need some "cleaning".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice.

The update is, I ordered new gaskets for both connections. Turned out they were the wrong size. No worries, they were cheap. So I ordered another set, so hopefully they'll be the right ones.

I find it weird that the nuts/bolts should only be finger tight. But then again, I'm not a mechanic so who am I to understand such things. Lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Change that response to it's odd that it should be tightened not much beyond finger tight. That's like an oil drain plug. And yes, I agree with retightening them after riding a bit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts