Motorcycle Forum banner

Seeking exhaust help

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  981500MD 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a 1998 C90/VL 1500 Intruder/Boulevard and it has started smoking around the connection between the upper exhaust pipe and the manifold (for lack of a better word).

Has anyone experienced this? And what was done to correct the issue?

Thank you and have a great day.

981500MD

#2 ·
You need a new exhaust header gasket.
That is assuming that it is not suddenly using more oil and also smoking out the talipipe.

I would suggest letting a shop do it......because breaking off one of the mounting bolts in the head can be VERY expensive and is a fairly easy mistake to make.

#3 ·
Thank you. I've considered that. The pipe bolts are relatively easy to access and I appreciate your words of caution on using care if I choose to do it myself.

I have tried tightening the bolts, so they turn fairly easy. But I will seriously consider having a shop do it.

#8 ·
Thanks for the advice.

The update is, I ordered new gaskets for both connections. Turned out they were the wrong size. No worries, they were cheap. So I ordered another set, so hopefully they'll be the right ones.

I find it weird that the nuts/bolts should only be finger tight. But then again, I'm not a mechanic so who am I to understand such things. Lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.