Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I didn't find much online for this product so i decided to put my impressions online. why? because i'm opinionated and vocal.

Why i bought them:
Since I ride with music most of the time and most of my rides are... long, i decided to finally stop using earbuds tied to a cable jacked into my GPS (Garmin Zumo 550).

I bought the Sena SMH-10 Dual pack.
comes with two of everything and a tether cable to link both set together on two up riding.

It took me approximately 10 minutes to install onto my helmet (Scorpion exo-1000) and the fit is pretty good. may have to adjust it a little, or perhaps some cloth over the speakers, but otherwise not a real issue to install.

the sound:
I paired my Iphone 3gs via bluetooth to the unit (both actually) and it has some pretty decent and as loud as ear buds would be. max volume would be too loud for riding i think.

I'll update more when i get it paired to the GPS and the GPS paired with the phone, so i can make calls to-from the helmet.

first impressions:
Pros:
lightweight
good sound
good fit

cons
additional weight on helmet

so far, 8/10... more to come

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tried using the phone through the gps and worked pretty well. after this year's trip, i should have all the bugs worked out

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Second impression.
Garmin Zumo does not transmit XM radio across bluetooth.
next steps are to get a bluetooth dongle and connect that to the garmin. more to follow.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
If I ride double (seldom now days) I use the Sena SMH-10 for communication and music. I've never been happy with the music over the SMH-10, sounds tiny to me. For communicating with my passenger they are great, couldn't be happier. For me alone I listen to music through the blue tooth HBS-810 Tone Ultra Premium Wireless Stereo Headset from LG. The small ear buds quiet the ambient noise and the music is clear and melodious. LG HBS-810 Tone Ultra Premium Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Headset (Blue) - eSureBuy.com

·
Registered
6 Posts

·
Still crazy after all these years
14,182 Posts
Personally, I would go with the best helmet, then add a bluetooth kit. I've just bought a Shoei Neotec (flip-up) and the helmet alone was over 550€. The bluetooth kit (a Scala Rider Qz) was another 130€ on top of that. When I see a helmet with bluetooth listed at prices 50% lower, I suspect that the helmet is not suitable for long rides, due to cheap materials and poor design (ventilation, comfort, stability, etc.).

Since I live on the right side of the Atlantic, my helmet has to meet ECE 22.05, not DOT.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts