Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went for a ride today and noticed my 07 m50 was bleeding from the right fork tube.
I thought no big deal and looked up the seal kits at J&P Cycle ,then i started reading the service manual and it was talking about special tool this and special tool that.
I am wondering how nessecary theese special tools are? Its been my expirence that I can usualy get around buying all theese special tools on cars but im pretty new to working on motorcycles.
If anyone has done this could You please help me out?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Have you tried cleaning the seals?

From another forum...

Method 1: Raise the dust cap and apply several layers of packing tape around the fork tube just above the fork seal. Pump the forks several times causing the packing tape to go into the seal and remove the crud contaminating it. Carefully remove packing tape/oil and crud.

Method 2. Cut 320 grit wet/dry sandpaper into a 6"" by 6" square. Bevel one end by cutting off the corners - leaving a rough looking crescent shape. Raise the dust cover and wrap sandpaper around fork tube with beveled end down. Super glue the overlapping sandpaper to form a sandpaper tube. Make sure there is just enough clearance to still slide the paper along the tube. Work the sandpaper into the seal and spin the paper 5 or 6 times in the SAME direction. Don't go back and forth. Pull sandpaper up, carefully cut off fork and reinstall the dust cover.

·
Leg Humps The Snap On Tool Man
1,477 Posts
Rebuilding our forks is not terribly difficult. It does become easier if you have a friend available to compress the spring. I managed to make my own special tools. You will need a depth guage like this one:

Cycle Gear - MOTION PRO: Fork-Oil Level Gauge,

These are my special tools: http://s932.photobucket.com/albums/ad167/Fear_cartaidh/?action=view&current=dab7e2d5.jpg&newest=1

If you choose to let a shop rebuild it for you, you can save some coin by bringing in the individual forks off the bike. This typicaly cuts the price in half.

NMc

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I'll do it my self and am pretty confident about building my own special tools.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You don't need no special tools.I thought that i did when i had to do mine but i tackled it without and got the job done.The only thing was that i couldn't get the spring compressed to take it apart,but i just went a different route and got it apart enough to change the seal and replace the fluid.You don't need a measuring tool either,just a measeauring cup and the appropreate amount of fluid.can't remember off hand the correct amount.
But it wasn't that diificult of a job...

·
Registered
685 Posts
You don't need no special tools.I thought that i did when i had to do mine but i tackled it without and got the job done.The only thing was that i couldn't get the spring compressed to take it apart,but i just went a different route and got it apart enough to change the seal and replace the fluid.You don't need a measuring tool either,just a measeauring cup and the appropreate amount of fluid.can't remember off hand the correct amount.
But it wasn't that diificult of a job...
How did you get around not having to take the cap off all the way and replace the seals? I'm in the middle of working on mine and am having the same problem as I don't have the "special tools".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts