Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One other thing I really noticed is that when you shift between 1st & 2nd (either way), it is more than just "not smooth". I seemes to catch the gears & you can hear it clank quite a bit. Is there anything I can do to make this a bit smoother - I know it won't be as smooth as the other gear shifts, but it seems a bit excessive.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Are you using your clutch!? :tongue:

I noticed that it clunks a bit when dropping from N to 1 when taking off, but other than that all shifting seems the same to me.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
i've heard that complaint a lot, i think its just a quirk of the bike. dealers have said its no worry.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Clutch? Hmmm... you might be on to something. j/k - I use the clutch & thought maybe I wasn't pulling it in enough, but the clutch is definately disengaged when I'm shifting.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I was able to get a good bit of riding in this weekend, and I still can't believe the complaints about the gearbox. Maybe I have an oddball, but my bike shifts smooth and easy. I don't "shift like I mean it", just a nice gentle pull up. Maybe I am preloading it or something.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I was able to get a good bit of riding in this weekend, and I still can't believe the complaints about the gearbox. Maybe I have an oddball, but my bike shifts smooth and easy. I don't "shift like I mean it", just a nice gentle pull up. Maybe I am preloading it or something.
I find mine to be fairly smooth too. I pre-load a tad though. What I like is that you can really feel it drop into gear with your foot though. I rode my buddies vulcan 900, and at first i though the shifter wasn't attached, i'd shift up and wouldn't feel a thing. To me that is too smooth. I like to feel a bit of clunk.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I find the gear change just about positive enough. For the first thousand miles or so it was bedding in. I only use the clutch for starting and stopping, all other changes are done clutchless. (I was reared on old British bikes where the clutch was more cantankerous!)

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I remember asking that same question here at MJ when I originally bought my M. It just seems to be the nature of the bike.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I find the gear change just about positive enough. For the first thousand miles or so it was bedding in. I only use the clutch for starting and stopping, all other changes are done clutchless. (I was reared on old British bikes where the clutch was more cantankerous!)
I hope you realize that will shorten the life of your tranny.

·
Registered
827 Posts
You can adjust your clutch wire if you want. How many miles do you have on the bike.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Of all the bikes I've owned the M50 has the worse shifting.
Hate to admit it.
Harley was the best, my Kaw ER6n is the next best and nearly as good as the Harley
then it was the Yamaha Roadliner and the Raider.
However, I think what you might be feeling is the fact that this bike has to go from 1st through neutral then into second and it's that catch or hesitation you might be feeling.
My Kaw Nomad 1600 had the same issue but not as bad.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
This is one of the prime reasons some of us like to use synthetic oil. It very often makes a noticeable improvement to shifting.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I ride with a harley boot..it's got a thick nose..but not steel toe. The heavy boot gives the impression that shifting is smoother than it really is...infact the notchy/audible noise is infact helping me ensure I've engaged the next gear. In running shoes etc the bike is not what I would consider smooth but the amsoil oil I run definately helps. Again with a good boot on the shifting is actually quite nice..

·
Super Moderator
12,190 Posts
.....you just need to use a little authority and be in the higher rpm's and goes in much easier...IMO.
:plus1:

Pre-load a bit and don't be a wuss.

It will always clunk when going into 1st after standing in neutral but shifting THROUGH neutral is often much worse if you try to baby it.

AND when shifting down, do not go into first until you are down to walking speed......5 MPH or less......but before coming to a complete stop.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The bike only has 4400 miles on it. I have noticed that it basically will not go into first gear unless you are at a serious crawl. I would think this is some sort of safety feature so you don't hurt the transmission.

I will be switching to synthetic when I do my first oil change.

I'm going to ask a dumb question... but I'd rather ask than not know....

What is pre-loading when you shift & how do I do it?

·
Registered
493 Posts
When I shift from 1st to 2nd I don't rotate the throttle back much when I pull the clutch in to shift gears....that seems to help also letting the engine rv out a bit it doesn't like to be lugged around. It needs to shift at a decent rpm I think.

This bike shifts kinda "notchy" you'll get the feel of it.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
What is pre-loading when you shift & how do I do it?
Put slight pressure on the shift lever so that when you close throttle and/or release the clutch, the tranny shifts at the time when it's best synchronized. This, as opposed to forcing it whenever your foot feels like it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My M clunks when it shifts but it NEVER misses a shift unless I pussy foot it when I shift from 1st to 2nd and I manage to find neutral. My Yamaha was just sloppy.

·
Registered
198 Posts
This is one of the prime reasons some of us like to use synthetic oil. It very often makes a noticeable improvement to shifting.
:plus1:

1 - 20 of 90 Posts