Motorcycle Forum banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
I like the buzzer idea, it ought to be easy to set up. IIRC the m50 manual shows the harness- I'll give it some thought, a simple reminder like that would help a lot I think.

The class did teach aborting a turn, both in the classroom and on the course. I just plain froze up rather than braking, though I did get the bike back up straight, which was the first part of the MSF instruction. It was a sharp right turn in the road, straight into the parking lot. Likely I would have stopped on the edge of the pavement if I'd reacted properly.

But back on topic, the M50 shifts so much nicer than the bikes we used in the MSF course (Buell Blasts- pretty beat up). I liked the Blasts in general, though being 6' I couldn't sit comfortably on them.

Greg

·
Super Moderator
12,194 Posts
I like the buzzer idea, it ought to be easy to set up. IIRC the m50 manual shows the harness- I'll give it some thought, a simple reminder like that would help a lot I think.

On my last attempt, I used 273-059 buzzers but they weren't quite loud enough; think I'll probably end up with one size bigger this time.....if the brake-cutoff thing works.

I had them mounted under the seat 'cause that's where I found a connector with the + leads for both turn signals and the brake light all in one connector. Used 2 buzzers for simplicity; they are cheap.

The wire on the buzzers were thin enough that I just "pinched" them in the connector to make the connections; intended that just as an experiment but ended up leaving it that way for several months.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
As for the other one, you really need to "learn" to abort a turn (where possible) if you see junk around the corner. I don't know if any of the courses mention that but it has saved my butt a time or two; once when I noticed gravel at the corner and once when I was daydreaming and then suddenly realized that I couldn't scrub off enough speed to make the turn.
There is no shame in going around the block. :bluethum:

:bluethum: Another extremely good idea from one of our old sages, to often we get stuck in a "I'm going here mode" and get tunnel vision as it relates to our destination, safe motorcycling requires that we be ready willing and able to make instant decisions concerning the ever changing environment we encounter on our day to day riding.

·
Registered
68 Posts
:bluethum: Another extremely good idea from one of our old sages, to often we get stuck in a "I'm going here mode" and get tunnel vision as it relates to our destination, safe motorcycling requires that we be ready willing and able to make instant decisions concerning the ever changing environment we encounter on our day to day riding.
It's called target fixation. In simple terms... If you think your going to hit something don't look at it.

Target fixation, motorcycle advice.

http://www.cycleconnections.com/articledetail.asp?ID=394&TypeID=24

http://www.sportrider.com/ride/146_0612_controlling_panic/index.html

·
We're still thinking up a doozie
2,468 Posts
I had installed "turn signal reminder buzzers" on my last bike (inexpensive pizo-electric ones from Radio Shack) but when I got them big enough to hear reliably, they were annoying. Someone else suggested hooking the negative side of the buzzers to the POSITIVE lead for the brake light. That way, any time the brakes are on, the buzzers will not be beeping as the signals flash.
A shocking collar comes to mind... placement is key... :whistle:

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I bet Easy needs louder buzzers due to all the bikes running around with loud pipes :lol4:

81 - 90 of 90 Posts