Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question for you guys. I was @ a light with my buddy the other day. We take off, heading out of town. We get up to 55-60 and he just takes off. I, being in 5th, shift to 4th and hammer it, but he's still pullin away. should i've shifted to 3rd? Or would i have been out of the power band. He's got an 01 Super Glide HD 1400 somethin CC. Maybe i'm just outmatched?

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
Where did that put you in the rpm range? Chance are he just outpowered you, being on a 1400, but 3rd probably would've been better. A few hundred more miles and it'll be obvious to you.

·
Banned
197 Posts
I rode a Harley Sportster, 883 carbed, and it outran my '07 C50T. Harleys have more torque in the lower RPM range, because of how the pistons fire. Ours are even offset firing pattern, as the HD engine is not. So, don't feel bad if a 1400 beat a 805... Even if you had the C90, 1500, the HD bike still has the low end torque advantage, and they pull ahead quicker.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
That sounds like a lot of HD propaganda hooey. First, the charts are quite similar. Second, they aren't talking about "low end", or under 2500. The HD has an advantage for a few hundred rpm, then the hp curve of the M50 takes over. It's going to come down to rider skill, and if he's not sure what gear to be in, he has a distinct disadvantage. The only thing that offset crank does is help make noise. :mrgreen:

·
I took the All Bran Challenge
7,753 Posts
I find that from a light I have the Harley beat, around the 300 ft mark they will power away from me.

To me it sounds like your shift points are too soon.
Redline is 8,500. The Harley will shift sooner as the redline is lower.

·
Beer. Nature's Unstoppable Force.
13,226 Posts
Quick question for you guys. I was @ a light with my buddy the other day. We take off, heading out of town. We get up to 55-60 and he just takes off. I, being in 5th, shift to 4th and hammer it, but he's still pullin away. should i've shifted to 3rd? Or would i have been out of the power band. He's got an 01 Super Glide HD 1400 somethin CC. Maybe i'm just outmatched?
A. He's got damn near almost double the displacement you do.

B. He's got damn near almost double the horsepower you do.

C. He does have damn near double the torque you do.

Any more questions? :mrgreen:

·
Beer. Nature's Unstoppable Force.
13,226 Posts
I rode a Harley Sportster, 883 carbed, and it outran my '07 C50T.
Of course it will.......

It weighs 11 pounds less, and in stock trim enjoys the benefits of not having a two or three foot high mainsail sticking up in the breeze and two outrigger sails on the side to slow it down.

:fight2:

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Of course it will.......

It weighs 11 pounds less, and in stock trim enjoys the benefits of not having a two or three foot high mainsail sticking up in the breeze and two outrigger sails on the side to slow it down.

:fight2:
Plus depending on the year, the Sportster is chain or belt drive as opposed to shaft. Big difference in bikes there.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I would have shifted to 4th too. 1400 vs 800, if he wouldn't have smoked you then I would have said his bike has a problem.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
cc's are not everything. Two of my friends have Road Kings, and the M leaves them in the dust (well, I am always ahead of them). One of them also has a V Rod, when he takes that out I have to play catchup.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts