Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey M-Folk -

When I upgraded my pipes a few weeks back, the mechanic who did the job for me said he thought I wouldn't need to do any FI tweaks and that he thought my bike was running just fine without any other changes. I agree - it did run fine, but I wanted to go the extra step and have it run optimally with the new setup. With the two or three choices out there, I chose the least cost, easiest install and tune route with the Cobra FI2000. I've read a lot of nay-sayers talking badly about this product in the forums, but I usually don't believe what I read (I'm guessing most of us don't since we all, to some extent, reject common truths). I found a vendor with a great return policy, so I figured I'd give the product a try.

First off, let me say that I'm neither a mechanic, nor a mechanical engineer - I'm just a guy with a bike and I only know what my senses and common sense tell me while I'm in the saddle. So, again, take what I say from that perspective - I'm sure there will be comments to this post about what this unit doesn't do that makes it unsuitable... but my review will be from a rider's perspective. Installation took all of ten minutes (most of that time I spent trying to locate the correct wires to tap (there are three, total) - and any key-carrying rider can do the install, no problem.

I love the way my M growls and snarls at certain points in the powerband. It pulls like hell from B to C, but A and D sometimes seems just a little lacking. The engine's power always seemed to be very peaky, and I found myself doing a lot of shifting to make best use of the power available in any given situation. That's fun, don't get me wrong, but I was really hoping for a more flat/linear powerband. Well, upon installing and doing some very minor tweaks to the Cobra, that's exactly what I got and more. Throttle response, especially in low speed maneuvering is SPOT ON - meaning no surging at all with small throttle inputs at low speeds. Getting around parking lots and garages is just a lot easier now.

On hard acceleration, it's taken away about 5% of the OMG factor for the 2500 or so RPM's where the bike seems like a bull being released from a cage, and replaced that with about 10-15% more power at the low end of the OMG and 10% at the top end of the OMG - meaning, the bike pulls stronger at the beginning of a hard run, and has more power at the top of the power curve - and it feels like the power is more linearly applied throughout the RPM range in any particular gear.

One more unexpected surprise is the smoothness of the power through the gear change transitions. When shifting from second to third gear, for instance, there is no 'take up' in the power - it comes on right from the gear change and right through to the next gear change. To me, it's tamed the demon just a bit, but made it far more enjoyable to drive, for me. I say 'for me' because I'm sure there are a lot of you our there that LOVE the savage nature of the powerband in our M's - and I have to say that there is a big part of me that agrees and wouldn't want that to change. But, in my use of my bike, I ride everyday - to and from work, to the store... so while it may be exciting to have that push in the ass for that fraction of a second and the thrill it brings, I appreciate the extra power below and above the peak powerband that makes my ride more usable in everyday riding scenarios.

As always, YMMV with respect to such things - but I can safely say this, for my $175 investment in this product, I have gotten a lot of pleasure out of it - my bike drives exactly the way I want it to now - and for those special days where I want to put the savage back in my powerband, I can always disconnect the sucker and let those tires burn. As a matter of fact, I'm going to the hardware store tomorrow to buy myself a nice switch that I'm going to install to enable and disable the FI2000 on demand. :bluethum:

Peace,
Root

·
Registered
758 Posts
Rootdude,
Nice evaluation. Have you modified the air intake at all? The reason i ask is that I have the Fi2000 as well, and coupled with my cobra exhaust and thunder intake my bike went from a decent cruiser to a pure beast. My throttle is super crisp, the pull is constant all the way up until the rev limiter kicks in ! I bought this bike to ride easy, but find myself running it hard and often. The only disappointment is lack of peak horsepower. ( I need a m109 soon !)

I guess what i'm saying is, change your air intake and you will amazed at the full potential of the Fi2000 !

·
Registered
269 Posts
Rdude, great write up. Nice to hear an in-depth review of a product I currently use. I'm curious as to what settings you ended up with. I'm just running stock air and de-baffled stock pipes and was convinced the cobra was not making a difference. I haven't, however, spent the time on it as you have. I most likely have it set optimally, but believe I'm short changing the controller. :???:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rdude, great write up. Nice to hear an in-depth review of a product I currently use. I'm curious as to what settings you ended up with. I'm just running stock air and de-baffled stock pipes and was convinced the cobra was not making a difference. I haven't, however, spent the time on it as you have. I most likely have it set optimally, but believe I'm short changing the controller. :???:
Thanks - I hope some folks don't shy away from affordable products that help because someone around here who has likely never used one says it's sub-par.

I ended up with a touch over 4 on the green pot and the already set 5 and 3.5 on the mid and high pots. I also adjusted the idle a bit afterwards to give myself a touch more revs at idle (added about 50 revs).

Root

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rootdude,
Nice evaluation. Have you modified the air intake at all? The reason i ask is that I have the Fi2000 as well, and coupled with my cobra exhaust and thunder intake my bike went from a decent cruiser to a pure beast. My throttle is super crisp, the pull is constant all the way up until the rev limiter kicks in ! I bought this bike to ride easy, but find myself running it hard and often. The only disappointment is lack of peak horsepower. ( I need a m109 soon !)

I guess what i'm saying is, change your air intake and you will amazed at the full potential of the Fi2000 !
No - I haven't - and I really haven't found one I like yet. Would you recommend the one you have? Do you have a link to it on the web?

Thx!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
i have the fi2000 as well. its a good and simple unit. the reason i say people should go to the power commander is that the power commander has many more adjustment and can be much finner tuned. lots of people that have had their pc's on dynos said that the technician actually lessened the amount of fuel used in certain places. the pc allows you to do that where the cobra just adds more fuel in general points. the fi2000 adds fuel and give you more power. thats what its supose to do. all im saying is that its not as versitle as the pc. good write up tho!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have the fi2000 as well. its a good and simple unit. the reason i say people should go to the power commander is that the power commander has many more adjustment and can be much finner tuned. lots of people that have had their pc's on dynos said that the technician actually lessened the amount of fuel used in certain places. the pc allows you to do that where the cobra just adds more fuel in general points. the fi2000 adds fuel and give you more power. thats what its supose to do. all im saying is that its not as versitle as the pc. good write up tho!
Agree with you that the Power Commander is far more versatile - but between the price of it, the dyno time, the expert assistance creating and testing maps... it's just too involved for maybe 10% more power on top of what I got already from the Cobra. What I did was spend 50% less on the box, no time and effort and money with dynos and gear heads, and I got more than 50% of the usefulness - a good deal I think.

Even if I got no extra power or flattening of my powerband - and all I got were the driveability improvements which I noted in my review - it'd have been worth the $175. My bike feels more 'evolved' with the addition of that box - and I really like that.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Great write up Rootdude. Much thanks for taking the time to prepare it.
Considering I'm finally getting pipes this year this info was timely.
I'm assuming that the CobraF12000 will work just as well with the pipes I intend to get...Vance & Hines Cruzers.

Does anyone have this particular set up...and if so...wouldn't mind sharing their experience with the V&H and CobraF12000 combo?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great write up Rootdude. Much thanks for taking the time to prepare it.
Considering I'm finally getting pipes this year this info was timely.
I'm assuming that the CobraF12000 will work just as well with the pipes I intend to get...Vance & Hines Cruzers.

Does anyone have this particular set up...and if so...wouldn't mind sharing their experience with the V&H and CobraF12000 combo?
It says squarely on the box that it will work with any exhaust setup, so I think it's fair to say your results will be similar to mine.

Peace,
Root

·
Registered
235 Posts
Good write up Rootdude. I am also a supporter of the product. Since I have Cobra pipes as well, the Fi2000 was already set up perfectly and took all the guesswork and effort in setting up the PC. All for a lot less coin as well.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Nicely done! I have one on my bike, and it's set already... so i never think about it. Easy-peasy-Japanesy!

·
Registered
758 Posts
No - I haven't - and I really haven't found one I like yet. Would you recommend the one you have? Do you have a link to it on the web?

Thx!
I don't have a link off hand, I bought it 2 years ago. It is a Thunder Manufacturing Tornado with K&N filter and filter cover. I truly believe it was worth the money i spent, (it was pricey!). It also curves forward and leaves excellent leg clearance IMO.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't have a link off hand, I bought it 2 years ago. It is a Thunder Manufacturing Tornado with K&N filter and filter cover. I truly believe it was worth the money i spent, (it was pricey!). It also curves forward and leaves excellent leg clearance IMO.

You suck. My pockets are being sucked dry - I thought if I dumped my GF I'd be able to afford my bike and all the attention and plastic surgery I desired to shower her with - but this is getting ridiculous. I think you guys should show more restraint before showing off your toys like that. I'm weak.

Dude. $350 bucks for what amounts to a pipe and an air filter! OMG. Thing is, I SO want it. Add that to my chin spoiler... and the new signals that I want...

The rape of my wallet continues.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Rootdude,

are you a journalist, or a PR guy for Cobra?:shock:

i think that your original post was one of the most well thought out and structured pieces that i have read on this forum. i don't care who u are, that's good readin' there.

hats-off to you and your grasp of the lexicon.

i plan on keeping your post for reference...pertaining to your 'pot' settings.

installed cobra streetrods fall of '09, bot Fi2000r one month ago, not installed yet, too cold (8degF this am) too much snow to ride.

thanks for posting your experience

cranky

·
Registered
758 Posts
You suck. My pockets are being sucked dry - I thought if I dumped my GF I'd be able to afford my bike and all the attention and plastic surgery I desired to shower her with - but this is getting ridiculous. I think you guys should show more restraint before showing off your toys like that. I'm weak.

Dude. $350 bucks for what amounts to a pipe and an air filter! OMG. Thing is, I SO want it. Add that to my chin spoiler... and the new signals that I want...

You know I bought this setup mainly for the looks , but honestly I think it kicks ass both visually and performance wise. I have seen posts on home made kits like this, but they looked home made as well. The reality is, it is only a pipe and filter... If nothing else, find the posts on opening up the back of the airbox to allow more air in or fabricate one of your own air breathers, plenty on here about that as well. Your bike will thank you for letting it breathe easier !:lol4:

·
Registered
198 Posts

:eek:ff-topi:
I noticed your wheels are not all the standard black. What did you do the outer edge of the wheel to make it shiny.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts

You gotta keep searching for deals. I got my Cobra Streetrods for $275 and my Tornado intake for $150. I bought my bike used, and it already had an fi2000 installed.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Strip the paint and polish.
What is the best way to strip the paint? Are you using some type of chemicals or using a dremel to get the paint off? After stripping the paint, what is under the paint? Is it some type of stainless steel? I'm just asking, just worried about rusting.

Sorry about the so many questions.

·
Registered
572 Posts
paint comes off with something as simple as paint remover...stronger the better, but you have to be careful what you get it on. Under the paint is aluminum...for that you're options are up to you to determine the shine level..buff wheels, simple alum polish, sand/buff process...its alot of work but if done carefuly can look factory good. I used to polish parts for my mustang engine bay...I found it was far too much work and upkeep for my bike, I like the black.
He's a self indulgent pic of my last mustangs engine bay...figure I had min 100 hours in aluminum polish work under the hood...I avoid that type of work at all costs these days.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts