Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is my situation… I want to get a bike to start out and I know that I need to start small. I found a 2018 GSXR 250 on Facebook for $2000. It has 800 miles and looks in great shape as far as I can see. The person said that they thought it was seized and said that the battery is dead (IT’S BEEN SITTING FOR 8 MONTHS) is that something I should take a look at? I know that it could just be oxidation in the cylinders or something that I could fix easily. I’m decently handy with mechanic work and I have people who know a lot about bikes. What do you guys think? Thx in advance

·
Super Moderator
13,948 Posts
Highly unlikely that it is "seized". 8 months is not THAT long.

The seller should put some fresh gas in it after draining out the old, then put a new battery in it or give it a jump to be sure that it runs.
ONLY after that should you consider giving him more than $2 for it.
It is worth nowhere near $2K unless it is running.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Highly unlikely that it is "seized". 8 months is not THAT long.

The seller should put some fresh gas in it after draining out the old, then put a new battery in it or give it a jump to be sure that it runs.
ONLY after that should you consider giving him more than $2 for it.
It is worth nowhere near $2K unless it is running.
Yeah a seized bike should probably go for like $500 I figure if it is bad but do you think I should try to look at it and mb talk her down if I’m sure it’s not seized. And I could come out of it with a cheaper bike and go through and change out filters, gas, etc??

·
Super Moderator
13,948 Posts
Also, I should in theory be able to tell if it is seized by rolling the bike in high gear and or jumping it??
Yes. Of course.
But you aren't listening well enough.
Do not buy anything that you can't SEE run and test ride.......for any price.
Please try not to do something stupid here, Lamb Chop !!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well, 8 months is really a long period of time but if you are willing to buy a motorcycle than you should change its oil. Have a proper battery check up and once you are satisfied than you should go for it. Make sure that tires are good as well. In that case you would bear extra maintenance charges.
If I tell you my story, I was willing to buy Honda Cruisers Bike 2017 with same condition and I beard cost of maintenance and it worked fine in my case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts