Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Side Panel Removal - M90 2014

Hello to all,

I just bought an M90 2014 Boulevard. I also have a a 2005 S40 LS650 thumper. Luv em both.

Joined this site after looking at other sites. Most are outdated and not current.

Looking for advice on basic tips. I have the owner's manual, but it is rather limited for the M90. Hunted for a service manual but located shady sites and only manuals through 2009. Looking on how to remove side panels so I can remove seats so I can install throw over saddle bags until I decide to mount them on permanently. For the life of me I cannot locate any set screws, bolts or clips. Owner manual states to unhook hooks. That is it. no meaningful diagram. I poked fingers all in the lower cavity and cannot feel any hooks. What thread should I post my need? I performed word search for "seat, remove, M90, boulevard to no avail. Any suggestions?​

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
Usually...read possibly....covers that have no visible means of retention have those rubber grommets in the frame and lugs on the back side of the cover....can you gently pull the cover away at all?...this indicates that this is how they are held.

Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
They definitely would. The issue is I typically look for manuals such a Haynes Manuals that show all steps in a process. Most manuals start with the seat removal vs the panel removal. Haynes doesn't have one for my year and model. I would hate to purchase a manual that is not any better than the owner's manual for this task since I do not intend perform more than basic maintenance and customizing the bike. I leave the heavy lifting to the expert mechanics. I'll keep looking. Thank you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Usually...read possibly....covers that have no visible means of retention have those rubber grommets in the frame and lugs on the back side of the cover....can you gently pull the cover away at all?...this indicates that this is how they are held.

Good luck
I thought of that. Tried prying gently. I just don't want to break anything since the word they used in the owner's manual was "hooks." I may have to wait until Saturday to visit the dealer just to be sure. I'll see if a post pops up. Thank you.

Update. Performed search using "cover" instead of "panel" (as the owner's manual calls them). Found site that shows Blown up parts list illustrations that show, you guessed it, grommets. Pulled and off it came. Now back to mounting saddle bags. only took 24 hours to figure it out. LOL.:bluethum: But better safe than sorry. Thanks

https://www.google.com/search?q=FRAME+COVER+M90+VZ1500+2009-18&rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS772US772&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj4roai1PTYAhVPzmMKHdQ6DcoQsAQILQ&biw=853&bih=498#imgrc=2xiTJ64izf8q4M:

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
So many covers/fairings/belly pans etc are flimsy these day its a wonder they last more than two or three removals. Those plastic push pins and other assorted fasteners are certainly only good for one or two removals.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Yep, that's generally where you hear someone say, "Watch out for the battery cover, it might come off when you hit a bump". Almost always a rubber fastener or metal retention clip is missing from a couple too many removals. Sometimes broken from incorrect removal attempts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts