Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying an '03 R1 super cheap, $500 with only 5,000 miles on it from someone I know. They took a digger doing about 30 mph. Bike didn't hit anything except for him and just slid. However, one of the frame sliders was a little too strong and a tiny portion of the frame that dangles down around this bolt a little too weak. If you look at the pictures you can see the crack. I've taken pictures from various angles. The first is the farther away view so you know what you're looking at and then I zoom in.

Are there any professionals out there that can tell me if they think the frame is compromised? I've worked on bikes plenty and I'm a little bit of a risk taker and in my opinion it looks like this bolt was the only thing that took damage. Let me know what you think and what your level of experience is please!!!!!!! Thanks so much!!

R1 pictures by harryhood2468 - Photobucket

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
I am experianced enough to know that you can not diagnose something like this by looking at a picture, and anyone who tells you otherwise is BS'ing you. A careful, in depth, in person inspection is needed. Personally I'd do some disassembly and use some magnaflux.

But an insurance company would total this bike, as they do not like to repair anything with any kind of frame damage. Which leads me to ask, what is the status of the title on this thing? With an asking price about 1/10th of book value, my alarm bells are going off and I would need to verify a clear title with the state it was last registered in before I even considered buying it as anything other than a parts bike.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
A friend of mine bought a totalled 09 BMW K1300S last year and spent the next few months making sure everything was in proper working order because he planed to sell it for a few bucks more than his investment, several members from this forum including myself have ridden the bike and it handles the same as a new one would, truth be told there really wasn't that much damage he rode the thing home from where he bought it, anyway the point I wanted to make is that after spending many many hours making sure everything was as it should be he finally figured it was time to take it in and have it inspected so he could get it re-titled, I went with him to the inspection station so I witnessed the inspection first hand, are you ready for this, all they wanted to see is the engine & frame numbers, they never even asked about any damage or what was done to repair it, (he had receipts for everything) 6 weeks later he got his new title in the mail, nowhere on the title does it say anything about it being a reconstruct title, it looks exactly the same as all my titles and all the titles he has for his other bikes, there even seems to be a possibility that BMW is going to reinstate the warranty, he plans to disclose to whoever buys this bike that it was a total, but by looking at the title (or the bike) there is no way anyone could tell, and I'm sure there are a lot of used/totaled bikes being sold by others than might not feel the need to disclose all the facts.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
That break in itself looks pretty minor to me. I see that there is a split and a pinch bolt so IMO this is not a structural support and with the cut to allow a pinch would be susceptible to breaking anyway. This is not to say that there may be something wrong with the rest of the bike. A full inspection should be done.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
It varies by state. in some states if you pass the inspection you get a title, in most you get a salvage or reconstruction title, and in at least one no matter what you do a bike that has been totalled can never, ever, be titled again no matter what you do. And within each state there is sometimes a big difference if the bike had frame damage, and they want you to get a new frame and a new VIN, in effect making it a different bike. Check with the state in which it was last registered, and if the title comes back as anything other than clean with no leans check and see what the process is to get a new or clean title for it. If it has a certificate of destruction instead of a title run away. Inspect the bike carefully, especially the frame, as if the frame is broken in one point there may very well be damage.
Remember the old phrase, "if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is?" A bike being sold for 1/10th of book value probably has more than one little thing wrong with it, other wise the owner could very easily sell it for a hell of a lot more than he is asking. Is it totalled? Stolen? Have other frame damage? Answer these questions or the broken tab is the leaast of your worries.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
I am also the over-cautious type and you have to ask yourself if your friend took one fall that you know of how many did he take that you don't. It is a fact that these types of frame will not tolerate any excess abuse they are light and rigid but once their integrity is compromised they are just a pile of alluminium scrap.

I guess in the final analysis you will make your own decision and without seeing the damage in the flesh it is hard to make a judgment call but I would check it out...especially on the opposite side to the damage

1 - 7 of 7 Posts