Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to this forum and a first time SV1000 owner. There are two small tail lights on my bike, next to the large one that don't seem to light up. I can see what looks like a wire going into them which leads me to believe that they are in fact lights and not just reflectors. Does anyone know if they are supposed to light up or not?

My bike did come with a communication unit, and I'm thinking that the previous owner may have used that circuit to wire up the comm unit.

Thanks, Dave

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
Welcome, Dave. I can't say for sure about the SV, but there are often extra wiring and lighting components on bikes sold to various global markets. Chances are, they're required in Canada or Europe, but not here.

Are they integrated into the tail light or seperate units? Maybe you could correct the bike's model in your profile and add the model year.

Edit: I see you mentioned it was a 2003 in the title.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oops sorry about the profile mistake. That explanation sounds as reasonable as any. They are not integrated, they are two small rectangular lights on either side of the main red light. They look like they might be yellow if illuminated but the plastic cover also looks kind of clear also.

I'll have to trace the wires back and see if I can figure out whats going on, probably also put a meter on them to see if they're getting any juice.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
We have a bunch of SV riders here. I'm sure we can get you a better answer shortly.

·
Dastardly villain
1,700 Posts
Can you take a pic?

It sounds like someone put on aftermarket turn signals on your bike. You sure yours is an 03 and not 02? the 03 has two long rectangular brake lights as shown below.

The 02 has one large oval brake light

Either way, it sound like a bulb may be burnt out or the wiring messed up. I have the wiring manual for the 01 SV650s. If you have an 02 with an oval brake light, the wiring wouldnt be any different in the tail light. PM me for the manual if you need it.

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
I agree, a picture would be easier to see what you're trying to describe. I got an '05 and the tail section is exactly like the first picture shown by SVZuki

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its definitely an '03. I'll get some pictures and post them up here.

The guy I bought it from had a large Givi on the back, just behind the passenger seat, I wonder if the lights were part of the frame for the Givi, although I thought that frame was well above where the lights are. Don't know, I'm sure the pics will help.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
I bet that's it. My Wingrack has replacement signals, too. Get us a pic!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is the pic, see the little horizontal lights between the red light and the yellow signal lights. Its not part of the Givi rack system.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Oh, those things. Those are in fact LED turn signals that are supposed to replace your stock ones. They may not light up very bright so perhaps the previous owner opted to keep the stock turn signals.

They come as part of the undertail kit, Hotbodies, I believe.

·
Dastardly villain
1,700 Posts
Oh, those things. Those are in fact LED turn signals that are supposed to replace your stock ones. They may not light up very bright so perhaps the previous owner opted to keep the stock turn signals.

They come as part of the undertail kit, Hotbodies, I believe.
+1

1 - 11 of 11 Posts