Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
There the exact same thing, only different.

:p

Really, totally different. the SV is a V twin and everything is different from there on.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
Entirely different motors, entirely different frames. Have you done any reading at all? Or are you asking about rideability differences? I'll keep from writing my fingers off until you clarify a bit.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
RowdyRed94 said:
Entirely different motors, entirely different frames. Have you done any reading at all? Or are you asking about rideability differences? I'll keep from writing my fingers off until you clarify a bit.
I think he wants to know the diffrence between the SV650 and Bandit 600 and your giving him a hard time. ;)

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will take a hard time, if it's deserved!

I've only seen a few pix of Bandit 600's and, before you answer, maybe I should Google it to see what facts I can pick up. From a pic, they look very similar (naked SV650 vs Bandit). I wasn't sure if the Bandit was just the old name for the SV650.

I would love to know how the ride differs. I would hate to buy one and realize the other would have been much better for me, but I was too stupid to ask a few questions, first. Please remember, I'm honestly trying to learn all I can before buying my first bike. I don't want to make any mistakes.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
The simple answer is that the Bandit is heavier and more powerful, making it more suited for touring and utility riding. The SV is lighter and quicker, making it better for sport riding and track use. I'd suggest you consider your payload needs and sit on each of them for a good amount of time.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Red. Wife has made it clear that she supports ME riding, not her. I don't plan on ever riding 2 up and never touring. Mostly commuting in Los Angeles and riding on weekends with friends.

·
Dastardly villain
1,700 Posts
The Sv's are a ton of fun and always have power. They are also a decent first bike too. They command respect as any bike doesn, but suitable for a newbie.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
PhotoJoe said:
Thanks Red. Wife has made it clear that she supports ME riding, not her. I don't plan on ever riding 2 up and never touring. Mostly commuting in Los Angeles and riding on weekends with friends.
Sounds like the SV would fit the bill, then. Still, I'd sit on them both, along with every other bike you come across.

·
Registered
128 Posts
inline 4 vs v-twin

heavy vs light

curvy vs angular

bland vs exciting

i would go with the sv, but i am a little predjudice.........................:bluethum:

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
He's right, but I'd take bland while passing the 800th mile marker of the day. :)

·
Registered
596 Posts
And then to really confuse you, throw the VStrom into the mix. If your out looking at dealers and test fitting, check them out too. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
24 Posts
well if you havent already learned this..the bandit is heavier, has an inline 4 cylinder engine and handles differently that an sv..a 4 cyl engine makes its power with higher RPM;s while a V-twin like the SV makes its power lower in the RPM range..soo..the sv is funner and easier to take to curvy roads on while the bandit will probably go a little faster in a straight line..like said, id sit on them and see which one is more comfortable,,, i have an SV and i can tell you that they are fantastic bikes and very customizable.i cant say that for the bandit because i dont have one..the sv was my first bike and it is very forgiving to learn to ride as long as you respect it...if you are going to be doing a lot of highway riding, i would strongly consider the bandit though, because it has a windshield and an upright riding position.The S model sv also has a windshield unlike the naked model sv, but the S model has more of a "leaned over" aggresive riding position that wont be quite as comfortable for the longer rides, so its a trade off..you may also want to check out the fz6 made by yamaha..

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a SV650S as my only transportation. I have to admit that the wind noise (unless I'm "fully tucked") is BAD that is the only thing that keeps me form going on trips (aka touring) with it. I don't mind "ducking" for a lil convoy of semi's but if I had to spend more than about 100 miles that way....I shudder to think what my legs would do to me. Course though I do Yoga I am 30 yrs old so maybe you would do better than me tightly tucked. Or ya could get an "imho" ugly ass double bubble wind screen and be ok. (OMG are they tall!!!! and UGLY!!!) as for the straight SV650 I have only ridden one and that sucked ass compared to the S version just on wind protection (and incase you missed it the S version sucks too) I have never ridden a "Bandit" but I do like the SV powerband vs the IL4's I have ridden. I just don't like to "Ring the bike's neck to get to the power" and that is just me, cause fookin a the IL4's got some SERIOUS power but no real.... grunt.....till ya "choke 'em" as I say.....course nothing matches em either....least not at 172 mph (GPS) on an open highway.

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
I have an S version and although I haven't ridden many bikes, I don't think the wind noise is that bad, it's more related to the helmet in my opinion.

I have taken my SV on trips of 900KM and loved it. I find it comfortable too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts