Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty! Hello all! I am back from the dead (although still not on two wheels again).

Soon (read: within a few months), I will be sporting a new set of wheels. Well, new to me at least. Currently, I'm leaning into a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 LT. At 155 lbs, that's probably the perfect cruiser for me. Maybe someday, I'll be able to get my wife on the back of it...someday.

Why the 900 LT?

1. It's gorgeous!
2. Everyone I've talked to has loved the bike.
3. Very reliable (as long as I take care of her).
4. Perfect weight and power for my size.

I plan on taking in on local trips initially but would love to get her out on the open road and travel to Arizona from the ATL to visit my parents and maybe up to Colorado as well. Looking at something like this:

Screen Shot 2016-01-19 at 7.36.32 AM.png

Talk to me...

·
Super Moderator
12,302 Posts
Do you have some kind of a "deal" going here so that specific bike will still be available in a few months ??

What's your experience like with LONG road trips on a bike ?
No doubt that the bike will be able to handle it but will YOU ???

I love my 900....Custom....but if you plan to cruise on the Interstates above the posted speed limit you might want to up the front sprocket one tooth.
Otherwise you need to get used to a little engine buzz......that develops on mine right around 70 MPH (indicated).

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think so too, AloRaptor. Love the colors and the chrome with the bags.

I'm waiting on a chunk of change that's due to come in soon so I can just pay cash for it. I'm obviously not hooked on that SPECIFIC one in the pic, but it sure is nice.

I haven't done any long distance riding so I'd for sure do short day trips to see how I do before embarking across this fine country.

Good advice on the sprocket. I'll see what the buzz is like for me once I own it. :)

I almost decided to get me something small like a Ninja 250 or gz250 just to buzz around town on until I could afford what I really want but decided against it. Now i'm just playing the waiting game... :whistle:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I hope it works out and you get the bigger bike. I've been doing long road trips for 35 years and I can't think of anything I enjoy more on a bike. Before you take a ride that long go out for a few two or three day weekend rides under different weather conditions. You'll learn a lot and see what gear you'll need for a long ride. Where in Arizona do your folks live?

·
Super Moderator
12,302 Posts
I think so too, AloRaptor. Love the colors and the chrome with the bags.

I almost decided to get me something small like a Ninja 250 or gz250 just to buzz around town on

Do look for "customs". Mag wheels and pegs instead of floorboards; a bit more sporty. (Pic attached)

I did a 1200 mile road trip from Illinois to Atlanta on a GZ 250 with the sprocket mod. TONS of fun but it wouldn't climb big hills too good.
Did it a second time on a Honda Shadow VLX 600; better trip but not as much fun.
I thought the VLX was going to be my "forever" bike........until I test rode the Vulcan.

900Custom.jpg

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Here I would disagree with Easy Rider about pegs vs floor boards. Floor boards are better on long rides. They give you the ability to move around and change your position much more so than pegs.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do love the mags on the custom. If I can locate one with bags and a windshield that would be ideal.

Are the the tires on the mag rims typically tubeless? I understand that the wire spoked rims usually have tubes.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I do love the mags on the custom. If I can locate one with bags and a windshield that would be ideal.

Are the the tires on the mag rims typically tubeless? I understand that the wire spoked rims usually have tubes.
You are correct the spoked wheels have tubes and usually the mag wheels don't. I have two sons in the Phoenix area and make the ride several times a year although my ride is considerably shorter.

·
Super Moderator
12,302 Posts
Here I would disagree with Easy Rider about pegs vs floor boards.
Hahahaha. Guess I should have explained a bit.
I changed out my pegs for after-market floorboards mostly for the exact reasons you mentioned.

Some folks, however, don't like the look and prefer the pegs, which are not available on the classic version.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had boards on my gold wing, all pegs before that. Easy to get used to. Pegs OK for short trips, but after a while my feet felt like they were on broom sticks. Then bought 800 Volusia and it had pegs, n short order bought Cobra boards($300).

tarheel

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The spokes cause the rim to have about 45 little holes in it. Those holes have to be prevented from leaking air somehow. Putting in a tube is the easiest way.
That makes sense. Ha! Thanks. I was leaning towards the LT because of the bags and windshield. Guess I should look for a custom with the mags, a windshield and bags.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts