Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
It is possible to just seal the rim, and then you can use tubeless tires. I don't know how much that kind of thing costs, just mentioning it so you know your options.

·
Super Moderator
12,302 Posts
It is possible to just seal the rim, and then you can use tubeless tires. I don't know how much that kind of thing costs, just mentioning it so you know your options.
From what I've heard, it's expensive AND unreliable.

There is nothing wrong with using an inner tube.
And yes they can be used with tires that are marked "tubeless".......because pretty much nobody makes tires anymore that are not designed for tubeless use.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Like Easy Rider says "From what I've heard, it's expensive AND unreliable." The reason is the spokes "move" While you're riding making a seal job unreliable. I run spokes on my Harley and can't complain after 120k miles.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
MV Agusta do it by having the spokes fit to a raised lug on the cast alloy rim. Tubeless have a very big advantage over tubed tyres as they will not deflate immediately you get a puncture, unless its a large rip. Also you can limp a tubeless tyre home with a nail/screw left in place.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Who out there has had experience with the Vulcan 900 vs the Suzuki C50? Realizing the slight size difference, what about power, handling, highway riding, etc... Just looking at all my options.

·
Super Moderator
12,302 Posts
The Vulcan has 100 more CC's and is lighter.
I've had an S50 (but have not ridden a C or an M) and the Vulcan power is about the same as the S I think.
But it was considerably lighter than either of the cruisers.

Have I said that you need to do some test rides ?? :mrgreen:

·
Super Moderator
12,302 Posts
Any bike shop that does not allow test rides......at least on used bikes......for a properly licensed rider who comes IN on a relatively decent looking bike and who looks/sounds like he is serious about buying something.........SHOULD GO OUT OF BUSINESS. And if you are looking to change bikes, your should refuse to do business with them.....and tell them why. I suspect that a test ride or two will be forthcoming.

Establishing a relationship with a dealer with a good reputation can mean a LOT.
After having bought 3 bikes from the same dealer, the salesman almost runs up to me with keys in hand now.
Well they DID.......before I left the state.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Follow-up question on the Vulcan 900: Are all model years of the Vulcan 900 fuel injected or can they have carbs? I was under the impression that all Vulcan 900s were fuel injected just like the V-Star 950.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
The search is about to get into high gear! I'll be actively looking within a week and hopefully purchasing within 2-3. WOOHOOO!!!™

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The money has arrived and the search is on. Pray for a great deal on a Vulcan 900. WOOHOOO!!!™ Getting stoked!

·
Registered
357 Posts
If I could go back in time, I would choose the Vulcan. The Vulcan has slightly better performance and more fuel capacity than the C50. Ergonomically, it is a better fit for me also. Price and aesthetic differences are small enough that they wouldn't play a factor in my decision.
The C50 has a rear drum brake while the Vulcan has a disc, which is slightly easier to maintain, especially if you plan to do your own work. I honestly don't see any pros for the c50 in this fight but ergonomics and handling might feel differently to you. Those are the things I would base my decision on.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I've found the perfect one. Under 10k, rides wonderful and for a great price: $3,650. Having her checked out on Saturday before I hand over the cash. WOOHOOO!!!™

21 - 40 of 55 Posts