Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
She's over the Atlantic transfer to Houston control. :cheers:

·
Registered
13,238 Posts
still can't believe there have been 129 of these.

Remember back in '82 when the first one went up, with Young and Crippen?

Remarkable in that Mr. Young also went to the moon.

in other news, "ares" which will be the solid booster payload carrying gizmo of the next generation was successful in launching just a couple of weeks ago.

and then there was some nonsense of going back to the moon.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Absolutely not. The fact that the question is ever asked astounds me.

Humanity has but a few higher endeavors in my opinion: Quality of life, art, and space/ocean exploration.

·
Registered
13,238 Posts
most of anything that can bed done with a person can be done a lot more cheaply merely sending robots (jeepers, where did I come up with that idea - oh yeah, the Mars rovers, 6 years and counting, although one is just about kaput).

·
Cookie Monstress.
5,192 Posts
one thing that cannot be done is to say, "I claim this <insert planet name here> in the name of <insert country name here>"

most of anything that can bed done with a person can be done a lot more cheaply merely sending robots (jeepers, where did I come up with that idea - oh yeah, the Mars rovers, 6 years and counting, although one is just about kaput).

·
Registered
13,238 Posts
maybe I remember challenger too well; maybe columbia, either way, manned space travel is dangerous.

All too often we forget what the risks are vs the gain.

Don't have a problem going back to the moon; however, w/out a good dozen or so robot landings to collect info, a manned lunar landing (let's see, so far 6 for us, none for anybody else, and those were just short of suicide missions, see also apollos 1 and 13) becomes just an exercise w/out any real gain.

We are headed in the right direction, with the last probe smacking into the moon to determine water; we (be it one country or several) need to closely think what our goals are and the most cost effective (and safest - as in fewest manned flights) to gain the objective that is determined to be important.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The idea is to create an outpost on the moon and use it as a jumping-off point for Mars missions. There are huge advantages to doing so. Also, the ISS isn't going to be supported much longer. A base on the Moon will probably be a replacement in some sense.

Ask any astronaut (y'know, the folks in the big bomb... errr, rocket) whether they think the risks are too great.

·
Cookie Monstress.
5,192 Posts
ours is an inquisitive species... there must always be a new frontier and some risk... and there will always be folks willing to risk their lives for discovery and learning and preparing for the future of our kind. I would sign up in a heartbeat....tried to do so in my early years but was turned down....*sigh*. We need to have challenges like this in front of us or we become moribund. I believe we will become an interstellar species and these baby steps are absolutely necessary. Sod General Zod.....Engage !

1 - 20 of 22 Posts