Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I decided to some of my own maintenance and that brings me to my spark plugs. I've got all the parts I need, but I have a few questions that the manual doesn't seem to shed any light on. She's an '05 if that makes any difference.

1. Is removing the fuel tank really necessary?
2. Is there a fuel shut-off valve?
3. Should I siphon the gas out of my tank before I do this?
4. Is there anything else I should worry about?

I've got a lift for my bike, so I'm good to go there. I worry a little bit about dropping the tank (probably get an extra set of hands just in case) or dumping fuel all over the floor the garage floor.

Thanks guys!

·
Super Moderator
12,597 Posts
IF you LOOK at the plugs, does it look like there is enough room to get a socket or plug wrench ON them with everything still in place ?
Is there enough extra space to unscrew the plugs without binding on something ??

Just in general, I think it is likely that the tank won't really have to be completely removed to get the extra clearance needed.......and if that is true the other questions are mostly moot.

If you are going to do work like this yourself, a shop manual would be a REALLY good idea, even if you have to pay for one.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
I didn t see what bike this is other than an 05 but often the tank s on many bikes can be pivoted out of the way by undoing the rear or forward bolts....some bikes have a small rod for holding the tank in this position.

Good luck

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey,

I decided to some of my own maintenance and that brings me to my spark plugs. I've got all the parts I need, but I have a few questions that the manual doesn't seem to shed any light on. She's an '05 if that makes any difference.

1. Is removing the fuel tank really necessary?
2. Is there a fuel shut-off valve?
3. Should I siphon the gas out of my tank before I do this?
4. Is there anything else I should worry about?

I've got a lift for my bike, so I'm good to go there. I worry a little bit about dropping the tank (probably get an extra set of hands just in case) or dumping fuel all over the floor the garage floor.

Thanks guys!
Just curious. How did the spark plug/gas tank thing go?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts