Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anybody here who has done the service for the M50 spark plugs?

What do I need to do it? My tool kit did not have the spark plug wrench...
Do I need a 18mm socket?

What do I have to check to do it? How many tour do I have to turn to fix the plugs?

I need your input about the plugs...

· Leg Humps The Snap On Tool Man
1,481 Posts
Yes you will need an 18 mm 3/8 drive deepwell socket. Too short and it won't fit too long it won't fit or too thick and it won't fit, kind of a pain realy. Good luck. NMc

· Registered
278 Posts
I just changed plugs not to long ago. Take the seat off, remove the bolt that holds the tank on, slide the tank back off the front mounts and put a 2x4 block under the back of the tank where the bolt mount is. A craftsman 18mm plug socket will work and a short extension. 0.31 to o.35 in. gap on the plugs and tighten to 10 ft. lbs. If you have compressed air blow the dirt out around the plug before you take them out, put a little anti-seize on the new plug threads before installing them, this will make the next change easier. A tip on installing the new plugs, find a piece of vacuum hose about 6" long that will fit tight on the head of the plug will make starting the threads in the head a lot easier. good luck

· Registered
539 Posts
:plus1: Perfect...

· Registered
165 Posts
beauty write-up above! The only thing I could add is that I removed the chrome accents from the top of the jugs to make it easier to get to the plugs. I highly reccomend the NGK Iridium plugs as well, expensive but worth it if you ride alot. The part # is DPR7EIX-9.

· Registered
278 Posts
Do I need a special tool to measure the gap?
Yes a thickness gauge or a spark plug gaping tool. Any auto parts store will have it.

· Registered
251 Posts
Take the seat off, remove the bolt that holds the tank on, slide the tank back off the front mounts and put a 2x4 block under the back of the tank where the bolt mount is.
May be a dumb question but not to me at this moment. Are you saying only remove the bolt at the back of the tank and not the three on the warning light panel as shown in the manual for tank removal? Am I correct in assuming those three screws detach the tank from the mount and this isn't necessary to do if only making room to change out the plugs? Thanks much, Bob

· Registered
278 Posts
Yes there is enough slack on the wires.

· Leg Humps The Snap On Tool Man
1,481 Posts
I typically pull the cannon plug if I were to pull the whole tank. And Rallykid is right about not gapping certain high tech plugs, check the box they came in. Many plugs are plated and the gapping process could remove the plating you paid an extra $4 for. NMc

· Registered
79 Posts
I've never had to (re)gap a plug that I bought, which I always bought the right plug for the engine. After checking about the first dozen or so plugs on all my cars and bikes and found they were exactly as stated, no need to bother to check. I don't reuse old plugs either. If the gap is gone too wide, its time to replace. Seems like the practice of checking gaps is just a thing of the past.

· Registered
278 Posts
I always check the gap that way I know it is correct.

· Registered
1 Posts
Shortcut to change plugs in Suzuki M50

Yes you will need an 18 mm 3/8 drive deepwell socket. Too short and it won't fit too long it won't fit or too thick and it won't fit, kind of a pain realy. Good luck. NMc
I use a 8mm wrench to either remove or swing out chrome covers on top of engine, can reach sparkplug with fingers now and a 18mm deep socket with a 2.25 inch long extension, if you ratchet is too bulky you can use a breaker bar to loosen the spark plug and then use extension like a screw driver. I was able to reach in with my hands to get spark plug out and back in, and get started treads started the same way I took out. I never had to remove the gas tank, took about 30 minutes to do both sides. The key side I did have to remove the plastic around the key first.

· Registered
2 Posts
Is there anybody here who has done the service for the M50 spark plugs? What do I need to do it? My tool kit did not have the spark plug wrench... Do I need a 18mm socket? What do I have to check to do it? How many tour do I have to turn to fix the plugs? I need your input about the plugs...
Do you know how many spark plugs the M50 takes ?? I’d like to be able to buy them before I start spring maintenance.

· Registered
7,351 Posts
WHS...2...the only engine I have ever heard of having more than one per cylinder was a two stroke Eastern European 250 of 1970s vintage...Oh and the twin spark Alfa Romeo car of 80s vintage....I believe some piston aero engines have more than one per cylinder but this is just a safety issue.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts