Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to do my first motorcycle tune up, my 2006 C50 Limited's first also. Bought a Clymer Manual on line and am ready to get serious. Before I lift the tank, I wanted to ask some "old salts" if there is a spark plug preference? The book recommends a set of NGK DPR7EA or a set of ND X22EPR-U9. Is there a difference between the two, or do I have more choices? Most of my miles are road miles with some city driving. I live in Florida, so its year round. Stock pipes, if that makes a difference. :p

·
Registered
729 Posts
I would suggest replacing the plugs with the same type as are in it now unless there is a compelling reason to change plugs. Usually the expensive plugs don't work better, they just last longer. This might be an issue on an automobile where the change interval is around 100k but not necessary on a cycle where most people will never ride that kind of milage.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I agree with the Iridium NGK, should go at least 50,000 miles (I have 10,000 miles on them without a glich), just don't forget to coat the threads with anti-seize lube just in case they need removed for some reason.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up with the same type I took out. I would have had to order the $13.00 Iridium plug and they had the stock plug right now, besides I love taking the tank off every now & then.:whistle: Really appreciate the info from everyone, thanks!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:D:D Well, I managed to get the tank off without spilling much of the liquid gold. The Clymer's Manual was very helpful, although you have to look in several different chapters to get it done. Took me two hours but that included going after the spark plugs, amazing how when you call them on the phone they have 17 plugs. But when you get there, they are fresh out - but can order them. For a cheap old Scot, it worked out well though, $30 for the manual, would have cost $80 plus parts & shop cost for the tune up. I think I'll invest the $50 in a decent bottle of Single Malt, MacAllen's sounds good...:bluethum:.......

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Camp, the iridium's come with a cooler number, I'm assuming, as we have the same engine that a cooler plug make no difference? The clerk (not a mechanic) I talked with wasn't sure what the difference would be. Does it make the engine run cooler?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Who knows, maybe by the time I'm ready to change them again there will be Iridium plugs for the C50....:bluethum: Thanks again!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Iridium, platinum, gold. Save your money, buy standard plugs per the owners manual, don't read all the superstitious BS you'll see. If they tend to gunk up with gas deposits go for a hotter plug (one rating up); if the electrodes burn or disintegrate go one step cooler. Clean and check the gap every few thousand miles if it makes you feel better and change when recommended.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
How many miles on your bike,did you even need plugs?....you have to pull the gas tank to change plugs?..what a PITA.:???:
I do plugs in the Harley about every 50K miles with same as stock,on my 3rd new set and never had a fouled plug.

·
Registered
729 Posts
One of the cheapest places to buy spark plugs is ADVANCE AUTO, buy on line and pick up at your local store. No shipping charge if they are stocked in your local Advance store. I just ordered NGK iridium plugs for my 750 nighthawk, $8.99 ea plus by ordering on line I got a 20% discount and no shipping charge since they are stocked locally.

The only negative is their web site is a bit difficult to navigate but it is manageable.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
And which stock plug is that which lasts 50,000 miles ?? :shock:
Harley Davidson brand but they're made by Champion I believe.
At 172,000 miles I'm on my 4th set counting the ones that it came with new and on my second set of plug wires.
The whole ignition was swapped out for a Dynatec programable unit at 100,000 miles when I had the engine enhancements done and that's when the plug wires were changed.

Ignitions are a lot better and longer lasting these days,a few years back my wife's old car (2002 Chrysler Sebring) developed a miss so I had it tuned up.
I realized the car had 120,000 miles on it and had never had spark plugs lol.
Had one of the two coils go bad is why it was missing.

880 Posts
Harley Davidson brand but they're made by Champion I believe.
At 172,000 miles I'm on my 4th set counting the ones that it came with new and on my second set of plug wires.
The whole ignition was swapped out for a Dynatec programable unit at 100,000 miles when I had the engine enhancements done and that's when the plug wires were changed.

Ignitions are a lot better and longer lasting these days,a few years back my wife's old car (2002 Chrysler Sebring) developed a miss so I had it tuned up.
I realized the car had 120,000 miles on it and had never had spark plugs lol.
Had one of the two coils go bad is why it was missing.
Hmmm, that's funny I found a champion plug in the lawnmower, lots of hours on that thing since 2000 ish. the autolites have been in the taurus for over 4 years and 30k miles and I snapped 2 of the 6 off in the heads variable cylinder fuel economy is what I call it.

·
Super Moderator
12,300 Posts
Being a champion of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" maybe I shouldn't complain about that ......but there comes a time along about 2X or 3X the recommended interval
that I think things probably should be done. What IS the recommended interval for plugs in your beast ??

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Being a champion of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" maybe I shouldn't complain about that ......but there comes a time along about 2X or 3X the recommended interval
that I think things probably should be done. What IS the recommended interval for plugs in your beast ??
Dunno,I'd have to look that up.
I know they get checked at 10K and 20K dealer services along with a lot of other "check" items as they do their expensive glorified oil changes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts