Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my dilema...I have a 2000 Road king with hooker un baffled pipes, so kinda loud. I want to add a handlebar speaker system so I can rock out while cruising/commuting. Every review I look at says somehting different..............soooooooooooo what are your recommendations? Which system is best/loud/clear/quality/cost effetive? Thx for the help

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
the "best" use for bar/fairing mounted speakers is while parked. otherwise your fighting 80+ db of exhaust noise( in your case close to 100db) and whatever wind noise and then loss of volume due to helmet ( unless you ride with a skull cap).

the best sound quality you'll get while riding would be inside the helmet speakers on a 3/4 or full face helmet. several different wired/wireless systems out there. on the cheap you can tear up a set of on ear headphones and glue them under the pads in your helmet.

the cheapest option is a set of earbuds. for me they drown out too much of the environment to use while riding ( even on my bicycle) , there's also the question of legality of riding with dual ear earbuds in your jurisdiction ( illegal in most of the us even on my bicycle).

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
I have a Pyle 300 watt handlbar system on one of my bikes, and can hear it just fine at 85+ MPH on the interstate even with loud pipes as long as I have the windshield on. Without the windshield I can still hear it fine around town, say below 60-65 MPH. Two small speakers, 150 watt per, MP3 hook up, volume control wheel that mounts on the switch box so you can adjust the volume with your thumb, real easy ti install. Love it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I looked into mounted speaker systems extensively a few years ago. There have been improvements, but they are still subpar. There are two problems that the manufacturers will not confront. Even if you buy one of the new Kicker/Harley DAvidson aftermarket systems for $3,000, you still cannot get a (1)subwoofer and (2) a receiver that pulls in HD Radio.
Subwoofers make all the difference. I had to make my own, and it rocked. It has to be mounted in front of you, or the wind will blow the sound wave away. SO it has to be mounted in a tank bag, or the elephant ear. THe HD Radio is a proprietary product, but it isn't expensive. I don't lknow why Kicker/HD/Harmon Kardon won't buy the license and sell you a radio with HD Radio, I think it's because HD Radio reception is free and they're more interested in selling you a subscription to Sirius Satalite Radio - which I wouldn't buy under any circumstances because of its affiliation with Howard Stern, who I can't stand - but their radio is a relic without it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts