Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '83 Suzuki GS550L and need to replace the speedometer/tachometer. The gears behind both of these are chewed up and no longer function. When buying a universal one, though, how do I find the ratios for this bike? I have the Clymer manual and original parts, but can't find anything about these numbers.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have an '83 Suzuki GS550L and need to replace the speedometer/tachometer. The gears behind both of these are chewed up and no longer function. When buying a universal one, though, how do I find the ratios for this bike? I have the Clymer manual and original parts, but can't find anything about these numbers.
If you go with an electronic tach and certain electronic speedometers, then you don't mess with gear ratios. My 1987 Suzuki LS650 Savage lacked a tachometer. I mounted a Drag Specialties electronic tach suited for working with Harley 2 cylinders, because the single cylinder had a dual fire ignition. (Fires every cylinder revolution.) I know this won't work on yours because it is a 4 cylinder, but there should be ones that will work with your bike.

The speedometer wasn't that accurate, so I mounted a Sigma Sport BC500 Bicycle Speedometer on my handlebars. It had much better accuracy. That model is now obsolete, they have newer ones, but they should also work. Being brand name, it was good quality. You calibrate it to the wheel circumference. (Roll bike until 1 wheel revolution made, measure the distance, plug it into the speedometer's internal computer.) Rather than explain how I did it, here's someone who documented how he did it:

Sigma Sport BC 500 Speedometer for Suzuki V-Strom

You can also plug in your mileage into the odometer function. Also has a trip meter, which I found handy for keeping track of miles. (I used this to make sure how far till next fill up, I only had a 2.8 gallon fuel tank.)

Here's another option, if you are not interested in maintaining OEM instrument layout:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-4-Cylinder-LCD-Digital-Motorcycle-Speedometer-Odometer-Motor-Bike-Tachometer/173580546054

However, I have no experience with these, so you'd be on your own. In general, if you can download an installation manual prior to buying may help to know whether a tach or speedometer will work in your application.

Good luck and keep the rubber side down.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts