Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What the Lil' Flip :madd: ?!?!

Had 2nd oil change a week ago (4,000mi.) @the dealer. Went for 1st ride since oil was changed & noticed that speedo was stuck at "0mph." WTF!

Pulled over, ran my hand along the wires that I could see underneath the speedometer but saw nothing odd :roll: . Rode a bit more & speedo sorta flickers on then off & on a little then drops to "0mph" & stays while I'm riding.

Didn't remove fairings to trace wires but was wondering if anyone has ever had this happen to 'em. Would like to know before going to the dealer (although I have a 4-year warranty) :mrgreen: .

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
Could it just be loose cable? Don't know how the speed on the Gixxer is but on my old GPz, it's just a plain cable. It didn't work when I got the bike beacuse the cable was broken inside the sleeve so it wasn't apparent.

·
Registered
167 Posts
New GSXR's have an electronic speedo, It could be the sensor that works off the trans, or the meter itself. Best left to the dealer.

·
Rock it!
4,511 Posts
GPz?!?!?!? I had a couple of those for a while. c. 1988:

Now THIS bike would spin rear wheels back in the day when that primative FI powerband would really kick in at about 6K. Had a set of ME 88's on her at the time. You older dudes remember those, right? :D That old GPz motor sure had a distinct sound.

As for speedos, WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' SPEEDOS!!!!!

My street 750 (in mothballs now). Had this setup since 1994. NO SPEEDING TICKETS EITHER. :mrgreen:

- Nut

·
Rock it!
4,511 Posts
AHHH . . . I had a Silver 750 and the red 1100 posted above. 550 was a non-handling wet-noodle in the day (750 and 1100 weren't much better - but at least for the 750 you could get some good race parts). Interceptor 500 ate the 550 for lunch. Remember the belt-drive GPz 305?!?!? That thing was, uh, not happening.

Well, if the bike is still under warranty, then of course take it back. Those ham-fisted mechanics will screw something else up on it too most likely.

- Nut

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Velcroed my GPS to "Q-Rokit" & rode to my dealer (which is 31 miles away) on Saturday :mrgreen: . Explained problem & immediately the desk tech. got a mechanic & we walked out to look at the possible problem :bluethum:. (Mind you that there were many people & bikes there but they honored my issue on the spot)

After gingerly tracing & moving around a few lines then going on a test ride, the mechanic stated that its his belief that the problem is w/one or both of two parts (don't remember exact name of parts but they're close enough):

1)Speed sensor ----------------approx. $7
2)Rotor (maybe rotor sensor) ---approx. $70

He took Q-Rokit in the back & tested both parts & stated that the problem lies in the rotor. Of course this is the most expensive part & also has to be ordered. Should be back within 5 working days.

Anyhow, he put Q-Rokit back together & stated that he'd order the necessary part. BTW, parts are still under warranty but unfortunately, LABOR is not :shm: . There's a catch to everything nowadays :thumbsdo: .

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Squared Away!

Went in Friday & had the sensor replaced. $70 part, but warranted. Didn't cost me a dime for labor & it only took about 35 mins to repair (which was enough time for me to walk around the store to gaze at the 750 & 1000).

Got a chance to ride about 350 miles this past weekend. Weather was mid to upper 70's & the routes were awesome! :smile: :mrgreen:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts