Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I just bought a 2007 Suzuki boulevard c50 from someone who kept it in a garage and did not ride it for 3 years. Right after I got it, it started to spit and sputter. I changed the oil, radiator fluid, had the fuel injectors cleaned, replaced the fuel pump, cleaned the spark plugs, etc. We have tried everything it seems, and the bike is still sputtering, especially at low speeds. I’m wondering if maybe it’s an electrical issue? This is my first bike (aside from a Honda Rebel I rode for two weeks). Please help!!!

edit: I can’t get it to idle at the start.

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
I would suspect the fuel system is still clogged somewhere. Best bet would be some good quality fuel system cleaner through and leave overnight. Also since the bike sat for a few years I would be cleaning the fuel tank out and maybe even swapping the fuel lines out too. Check the fuel tank venting also...easy to do just pop the cap when it starts to hesitate.

Another possible problem may be the battery is not sufficienty charged, the cables are not clean or tight, (a visual check is not sufficient) or the charging system is not working properly...you should see 12.5 across the battery at rest and up to 13.5 to 14 vdc with motor running at around 5k rpm. The cranking voltage mustn't drop below 10vdc or the battery is toast.

Finally check the coil packs if these are fitted or the coils, cables and caps....not sure what you should get but one may be dropping out....maybe see if you can borrow some?? An alternative would be the check the spak plugsagainnst the cylinder, (ground) to make sure you are getting a decent spark...fat and blue...anything less is suspect

Good luck

·
Super Moderator
12,190 Posts
That pretty much covers it.

If you haven't already, draining the old fuel out of the tank and replacing an external fuel filter (if it has one) would definitely be in order.

What about modifications to the pipes or air intake ?

If you are testing with the air filter off, don't do that.

Having the idle speed set too low can cause problems too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! I have tried cleaning the fuel tank. We drained all the ordnance fuel out when we got it. We’ll try your other suggestions. Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
12,190 Posts
Thank you! I have tried cleaning the fuel tank. We drained all the ordnance fuel out when we got it. We’ll try your other suggestions. Thanks again!
What about this stuff ??

What about modifications to the pipes or air intake ?

If you are testing with the air filter off, don't do that.

Having the idle speed set too low can cause problems too.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Sputtering C50-

Hello, I just bought a 2007 Suzuki boulevard c50 from someone who kept it in a garage and did not ride it for 3 years. Right after I got it, it started to spit and sputter. I changed the oil, radiator fluid, had the fuel injectors cleaned, replaced the fuel pump, cleaned the spark plugs, etc. We have tried everything it seems, and the bike is still sputtering, especially at low speeds. I’m wondering if maybe it’s an electrical issue? This is my first bike (aside from a Honda Rebel I rode for two weeks). Please help!!!

edit: I can’t get it to idle at the start.
Did you change the fuel injectors?

And the fuel of course and the tank was drained and any filter in the tank was changed?
Any fuel filter in the line?

Also, air filter? May even be mouse nests in the exhaust or intake.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Use the KISS method

Start with the stuff that's easy to get to unlike the coils and the fuel injectors.

People tend to have you try the last thing they tried that worked i.e. coils and injectors. In my experience bad coils will cause loss of power once the
engine is running rather than sputtering. Running fuel and air starvation will both cause sputtering and are easy to check.

Did you change the fuel injectors?

And the fuel of course and the tank was drained and any filter in the tank was changed?
Any fuel filter in the line?

Also, air filter? May even be mouse nests in the exhaust or intake.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts